New to NSP: I'd like to collaborate with someone

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

New to NSP: I'd like to collaborate with someone

Postby Tmhart » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Greetings, I've purchased a used set of Evans NSP with G and D chanters, complete with Butler's handbook for maintenance of the same. I'm fairly adept in trying new things, but I'm dubious about restoring my pipes to optimum playability on my own. The pipes were produced in 2008, barely played since, shipped from Glasgow to Oklahoma City this month. From my observations, listening, and cursory reading of the handbook, I believe several problems need addressing.
1. The chanter reed does not seal when inserted.
2. The drone reeds squeal and may need adjusting.
3. The drone plungers are loose, and the lowest drone does not sound at all.
4. I don't know when the last time the bag was seasoned, the wood oiled, the keys/cork maintained.

If I'm to persist with my new instrument, I'll need to learn all about how to maintain them. But, my preference would be to have a respected maintainer restore them, preferably someone in the US. I'd appreciate any help and suggestions. That would help me remain motivated to play them!

Thank you,
Tim
Tmhart

Full Name: Tim Hart

Re: New to NSP: I'd like to collaborate with someone

Postby pipemakermike » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:16 am

Hi Tim
Welcome to piping. You would be best posting in the general forum where you will get some help. This part of the forum is not much looked at and is more for people to find out about the protocols when first signing up.
A number of our good pipemakers keep and eye on the general and the pipemaking forums
I have moved this to the general forum and left a copy here.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Tmhart » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Very good.
Thanks Mike
Tmhart

Full Name: Tim Hart

Postby Richard Evans » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Tim,
I will send you an email with instructions for drone reed adjustment attached.

1. Replace the waxed thread which fits the reed to the socket. Be sure to replace the reed in the same position in the chanter so that it's in tune- keep the distance from end of reed to top of chanter that same. Use yellow hemp thread waxed with beeswax.
2. See above.
3. Try rubbing beeswax on the thread wrappings on the drone plungers.
4. The bag should not need dressing for years. The key pads are foam plastic so don't need oiling. You can oil the chanter bore with liquid paraffin (baby oil) but don't overdo it.

Richard
Richard Evans

Return to General Forum