NPS competition results

Go here to find or post details of events, concerts and other time related items.. Reports of previous events should also be published here.

Re: NPS competition results

Postby Dally » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Well put, Matt. I'm, with you.
I hoped Tune of the Month would, in a limited way, be something like the safe place you describe. Perhaps, the structure wasn't right? Perhaps, performing in front of a camera or mic is just as intimidating as performing in front of a judge? Perhaps, I was wrong to try to pull people in by having them select tunes? Perhaps, the tune of the month selections were either too difficult or too obscure? Or, perhaps, people just aren't interested? I'm perplexed. :?
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Well, John, I for one have missed TOTM, and found it rewarding precisely because I saw it as constructive rather than competitive, and welcomed the tune choices and variety. Granted, some of them were tough, but overall, I thought the balance was good. I certainly found it less intimidating recording a tune in my kitchen, than performing in a competition environment, which has no appeal for me at all, and even if it did, it would entail a lot of effort and organization just to travel to Morpeth to participate. I think it also relates to earlier topics, about Peacocks, or prompting more discussion on the forum in relation to the membership numbers compared to the forum membership. If only 25% of the NPS members are on the forum and only a small percentage of them participate, it can end up as an exclusive club with the same people contributing all the time - an ever diminishing pool, rather like the competitions! I wonder also how much age comes into this. Having just returned from the Whitley Bay course, (fantastically inspiring, by the way!) and playing monthly with the Salisbury members, it is striking that the age is overwhelmingly 45 upwards. The challenge is to get the wider membership involved, and maybe we should be looking to a broader "online" presence. When I was on the Whitley Bay course last year I met Bill Wakefield, a piper from San Francisco with 40 years experience in Highland, SSP'S, and Northumbrian pipes. Since then we have regularly exchanged tunes via Soundcloud and I've received lots of constructive criticism, advice (and praise!) and think it would be great if we had some kind on online tutoring/mentoring/advisory service where experienced pipers could communicate directly with less experienced pipers. Receiving that kind of support is certainly more encouraging for me than entering competitions.
Wallie Ogilvie

Postby Dally » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 am

After giving this discussion some thought I think it would be worth giving Tune of the Month another go. In the future the "assignment" will be more broad and hopefully more inclusive, that is inviting. Selections will be made by secret committee, but if anyone doesn't like the selection then just blame me.
I would like to thank everyone who has participated so far. To share your playing like this is a courageous act of creativity, or a creative act of courage. I think some people protect their prestige by not participating, and I'd like to see that reversed. The secret, of course, is not only a receptive audience, but an encouraging one. And that is as much true about competitions as it is non-competitive performances.
I've given up on trying to include so called Border pipers, excepting the loyal few. :evil:
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Previous

Return to Events, Concerts and related Items