Historical bag information

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Historical bag information

Postby pipemakermike » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:08 pm

I came across this invoice for a pipebag fitted to a set by Hall of Hedgerly I had in for repair some years ago and thought that it might be interesting
I wish I had taken some photos but pre-digital it was too expensive! The set was made in Laburnum with a boxwood chanter (not fitted)that was too messed up to get to play in tune. The chanter fitted to the set was a very slim Jack Armstrong one with very slender keys. The bag was made in rubberised canvas with the stock sleeves glued in very neatly and was still airtight.

pipe bag invoice.jpg
pipe bag invoice from 1939
pipe bag invoice.jpg (54.12 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Historical bag information

Postby Julia Say » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm

That rubberised canvas sometimes / usually indicates W A Cocks involvement, to the best of my knowledge. Eventually it crumbles and leaves a yukky mess which has to be cleaned off whatever it's crumbled over.
If the replacement chanter was an Armstrong, that suggests he also possibly used these bags early on.

Well now we know where they were coming from!

How does 12/6 compare with today's prices? Add 10/6 for the cover.
There's at least 100 pounds charges there in today's terms.
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Re: Historical bag information

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:23 pm

I would love to know more about the patent 12579 for the "Novelty Bagpipes"
I have searched on line and can only find these:-
Patent No. 12,579 AD 1904 : Provisional Specification An Improved Machine For Weighing Seed Grain Cereals And Other Substances
or
ORIGINAL PRINTED PATENT APPLICATION NUMBER 12,579 FOR AN IMPROVED PROCESS AND APPARATUS FOR FORMING AND HARDENING MANTLES FOR INVERTED INCANDESCENT GAS BURNERS. (1909)

There was some discussion on the Dunmore forum back in 2004 when someone was restoring a highland set stamped "NOVELTY Pro Pat No. 12579" but no new info was forthcoming.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Return to Pipemaking