Hello

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Hello

Postby pipemakermike » Sat May 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Well here we all are then. I look forward to exchanging piping info. Thanks to Tim for expediting the lowering of the piping drawbridge.

I will experiment with attachments.

I recently refurbished the first keyed set I made and needed to make a new blowpipe (I had probably given the original one away) to do this I used a photo from Francis and, by importing it into a CAD package, I was able to trace it, produce a 3D model and a working drawing. Here are the original photo and the resulting drawing:-
dunn_copy_blowpipe.jpg
My copy made in lignum from an old round ruler
dunn_copy_blowpipe.jpg (41.36 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

dunn blowpipe drg1.jpg
Resulting drawing
dunn blowpipe drg1.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

dunn_peacock_blowpipe.jpg
Picture from Francis
dunn_peacock_blowpipe.jpg (69.78 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Well that is enough experimenting for tonight
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Hello

Postby Richard Evans » Sun May 29, 2011 10:38 am

pipemakermike wrote:Well here we all are then. I look forward to exchanging piping info. Thanks to Tim for expediting the lowering of the piping drawbridge.

I will experiment with attachments.

I recently refurbished the first keyed set I made and needed to make a new blowpipe (I had probably given the original one away) to do this I used a photo from Francis and, by importing it into a CAD package, I was able to trace it, produce a 3D model and a working drawing.

Yes, thanks Tim.

Mike:
I wish I had that sort of computer skill. I'd like to learn a bit but spare time is an imaginary concept!
We use a CNC router to make the bellows plates- just 2D so the edges are rounded off by hand afterwards. Learning the basics of that was just about enough to make steam come out of my ears! We also made the template for the leather using this machine. Now that it is done, it has made the task of stitching and assembly comparatively easy- everything fits properly, first time, every time.

Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Re: Hello

Postby Francis Wood » Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 am

Good to have the image and drawing of the Dunn blowpipe permanently available. This model would make a desirable alternative to the blowpipe shown with the Dunn-peacock set in Cox & Bryan, a common and good starting point for many pipe-makers. Unfortunately the blowpipe shown in C & B has no resemblance to anything made by Dunn. My photo and Mikes drawing show the blowpipe actually with the set. It is actually of a different wood (ebony) from Dunn's other part in this set, but may still be original and in any case is a good pattern.
Francis Wood

Return to Pipemaking