Useful PC tuning program- Flutini

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Useful PC tuning program- Flutini

Postby Richard Evans » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Don't know if anyone else has come upon this. It's a piece of software which analyses note pitch as a whole tune is played, rather than by playing a single note into a meter. It samples each note played many times, identifies it and presents the results as a chart compared to the desired scale. You can change the temprament to suit the scale you're after.

Find it here, free download:
http://www.novasession.org/Flutini/

This seems a very useful idea, playing a single note into a meter is a very artificial situation. It won't displace the meter/manometer for setting up but I think it's worth a glance.

Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Re: Useful PC tuning program- Flutini

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks Richard
It looks like a very useful program. Maybe I can finally retire my old Korg tuner as it is now 30 years old and getting a bit cranky.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Francis Wood » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Time to pack it off to the retirement home for old tuners, Mike. I'm sure it will be very happy at 'Duntunin'. 30 years is very good service for an electronic tuner.

Thanks for posting info about Flutini, Richard. Actually it's not just for PC - theres' a Mac version which I've briefly looked at and which seems very good for practical use.

Francis
Francis Wood

Postby dbfisher » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:58 am

Thanks Richard

Flutini seems seems like it might be good for checking chanters dynamically as a final check. I have just obtained the Korg LCA-120 which which is very good. Chatting to some of you at the meeting and competitions recently. I know a few of you seem to use it, though not many people seemed to have to realised that it is programmable as well. It can be set up for the Northumbrian Pipes temperament as indeed any other temperament or you can invent your own temperament with it. It's very simple to do and It's the only one I have found that is programmable. However Korg have just told me they have just discontinued it. There is still a few available on e-bay and some on-line music shops though. I will certainly have a look at Flutini.

Regards, Brian
dbfisher

Full Name: Brian Fisher

Return to Pipemaking