Angle of blowpipe valve seat

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Angle of blowpipe valve seat

Postby pipemakermike » Sun May 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Does anyone have a view on the relative merits of the square flap valve seat as shown on the Dunn original compared to the angled version that I have commonly used?
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Hello

Postby Barry Say » Sun May 29, 2011 9:30 pm

What do see as the advantages of the angled end?
Personally, I regard it as an unnecessary complication as it means that the flap must be elliptical rather than circular.
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Re: Hello

Postby pipemakermike » Sun May 29, 2011 9:47 pm

My use of an angled end is probably influenced by the use of the Cocks & Bryant book as the first place I found making information. There are 3 blowpipes drawn in that excellent book and they all have angled ends. I didn't really think about it until Nick Leeming was helping me check some parts and asked me why the end was angled and I didn't have a good answer.
Thinking about it now and with my engineer's hat on I would guess that the flap has to move through a smaller angle to open to a reasonable aparture than would be necessary on a right angles flap and it is possible that the force required to open it is smaller (this is a guess and may be nonsense<G>)
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Angle of blowpipe valve seat

Postby Barry Say » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Traffic on this list is slo-o-o-ow, so this is a late reply.

C & B must be taken cum grano salis. It is possibly in the words of the white knight - Something of my own invention.

I always presumed that the idea was that there would be an element of gravity closing the valve. With an angled seat the flap wants to fall onto the seat, whereas with a square face the valve could naturally sit a degree or 2 off closed, requiring bag pressure to achieve a seal. I think this argument is specious.

I learnt my pipemaking predominately with Colin Ross who always uses square ends although I can never remember any discussions on this point.

In my opinion, angled ends lead to difficulty of maintenance. It is certainly inconvenient to use a lathe centre on a piece with an angled face, and the valve flap is more difficult to construct.

If I have a set of pipes through my hands which will go out with my guarantee, I have always squared of the blowpipe seat. Of course I would not do this with a set which had historical significance. I have never found any problem with squared ends.

Any further thoughts anyone?

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby Julia Say » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:22 am

Insofar as I can remember Colin's thoughts on the matter, it was simply "not necessary" to angle the ends.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby Francis Wood » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:02 pm

There is no practical advantage in an angled end. The 90 degree end suited the Reids and Dunn just fine, and I see no reason to 'improve' on their practice.
I'm not even convinced by the gravity aspect, i.e having the leather hanging down. It makes not the slightest difference to the valves I make. I'd always advise anyone to insert the blowpipe correctly, i.e. with the leather hanging because in some instances it may make a difference, though with a carefully adjusted example it really doesn't seem to matter.
Francis Wood

Postby andymay » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:54 pm

The angled valve is less prone to being noisey, and less prone to getting stuck.

I choose to use a blowpipe end which is very much angled (45?) for these reasons.

I was able to cure the noisey valve of a well-known piper by sawing a bit off the blowpipe to angle the valve.

Each to their own....

A
andymay

Full Name: andy may

Postby adrian » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:35 am

I have a view. Let it dangle; the valve is proficient over the player and the player gets knowwhere with the valve.
The valve has to seat at an angle to seal-without player introvention.
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Return to Pipemaking