Blowpipe valve flap

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Blowpipe valve flap

Postby Richard Evans » Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 am

We don't use a leather flap at all. We attach a disc of rubber to the end face with a dot of superglue. Easy and quick to do, very reliable and quiet, long lasting. We have also reduced the length of our standard blowpipe by 30mm, making up the difference with a longer bellows hose. This is more comfortable particularly for smaller players. I guess historically the length of the bellows hose was limited by the tendancy to collapse when made from leather (yes, I know about the business of putting a spring inside), which doesn't apply to modern tubing.
Of course, if I was making a replica,I would go with the original very elegant pattern as shown in the photos.

Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Re: Blowpipe valve flap

Postby Francis Wood » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Although I prefer the traditional pattern, Richard, your method is far more practical.

The leather tube was never a great device (for one thing, you have to inflate it before it delivers air) and it would have always been subject to collapse. Similarly there's nothing superior about a leather flap. On my notorious 'disposable bagpipes' a paper flap was used which has always worked faultlessly.

For practical use, I like the kind of tubing used for medical gases . . . anaesthetic tube in fact which is very flexible and (because people's lives depend on it) very reliable.
Francis Wood

Postby PaulScott » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:22 am

What kind of rubber do u use and where can I get some? My blowpipe valve all seems to be wkring fine in theory in terms of being able to fall back and seal propertly but in practice it seals shut with an audible 'clop' whichn is noisy or on occasion has not shut and has allowed air back into the bellows. It is an angled C&B type valve, I have cleaned it and tested various positions and some work better than others,

Paul
PaulScott

Full Name: Paul Scott

Postby OldTomsRant » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Paul,

I've used a punctured airbed! A bicycle puncture repair kit would also contain what you need!
OldTomsRant

Full Name: Chris Ormston

Postby Richard Evans » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:33 pm

PaulScott wrote:What kind of rubber do u use and where can I get some? My blowpipe valve all seems to be wkring fine in theory in terms of being able to fall back and seal propertly but in practice it seals shut with an audible 'clop' whichn is noisy or on occasion has not shut and has allowed air back into the bellows. It is an angled C&B type valve, I have cleaned it and tested various positions and some work better than others,

Paul

We use Halfords bike puncture repair rubber. Bought as a sheet, not separate patches. It comes as roll, we lay it flat under a weight until it lies flat. Use a very small amount of glue. Dust the closing surface lightly with talcum powder to prevent it sticking.

Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Postby dbfisher » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:31 am

Hi all

I have used the rubber cut out from Theraband quite successfully. The type of stretchy elastic used by physiotherapist for stretching exercises. It can be obtain in sports shops. The Puncture outfit stuff sounds like a good idea.though.

Regards, Brian.
dbfisher

Full Name: Brian Fisher

Return to Pipemaking