Drone Setting

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Drone Setting

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Where do you like to have the sliding part of the drone when it is in tune.
Half way along the standing part?
or
right out to the wrapping?

Highland piper tell me that when competing they aim to have the drone in tune with just one turn of wrapping showing.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Drone Setting

Postby Francis Wood » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Extended a third of the way is what I prefer.
GHB practice doesn't really come into it because they have no tuning beads.

Francis
Francis Wood

Postby Richard Evans » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 am

We have two patterns of drones. If fitted with tuning beads, I set them up so the slide is about 2/3 out. For the drones without beads, I set up so that the lower note is OK when the thread is almost showing, so that the higher note is easily obtainable with the slide about1/5 extended. This seems to give the best tone.
Richard
Richard Evans

Postby pipemakermike » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Yes that mirrors my setting.
pipemakermike

Postby Dave S » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi,
I've been away so I am a bit late in posting on this one --

Why are you moving the slide at all when you open the tuning bead? It is possible to balance the reeds to the beads and have them play the notes without sliding being necessary, given the holes in the drones are set accurately.
On my Seitz set I can get the tuning of the large drones to within a gnats' so I only need to open the bead to change drone key

Dave s
Dave S

Full Name: Dave Singleton

Postby pipemakermike » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Dave

Yes I also aim to have a design that doesn't need much retuning when a bead is used but using all cane drone reeds I have found that they are just too variable to achieve perfection. I have moved the position of the bead hole on the sets that I make to what I have found is the best compromise but I still have to tweak the position to achieve that lovely sound that comes from the combination of all cane reeds and perfect tuning.
pipemakermike

Postby Dave S » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Mike,

I am using plastic on brass at the moment, for the balancing I use small blobs of blue tack on the blade to change the frequency by "pendulum" effect. It takes awhile but by smoothing the tack out on the blade and spreading the weight of the tack one can get the notes to balance to the bead. It ends up with having to mod the length of the blade (move the top wrapping by fractions of mm's and then balance to the bead note by moving the pendulum position by spreading the tack thinner or thicker. I have not yet got to a point where I can describe how I do it precisely, but this will give you the idea. Sometimes I have a thin spread of tack with two small mountain ranges running across the blade, some mms apart.
I will eventually get round to making cane slips to try out this technique but for me it gives me a very reasonable sound with plastic so I am in no rush --

Have fun

Dave
Dave S

Postby pipemakermike » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Dave

What plastic tdo you use? Thickness? type of plastic?
pipemakermike

Postby Dave S » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:58 am

pipemakermike wrote:Hi Dave

What plastic tdo you use? Thickness? type of plastic?

Hi Mike,
I use all sorts of plastics, most are bakers trays(cream cakes ( yummi)etc), milk product beakers for kids that have nearly flat sides and plastic sheet. The sheet is 15 thou " and the beakers come at about 7 thou " ( I have an old micrometer from the 60's) so I know that the pieces are within 1/2 thou " in thickness.
The biggest ingredient is patience,add to that a smigeon of luck and a tad of comprehension et voilà.

The photo that started me off in this direction was in the NSP mag WAY WAY back of someone with strings and weights on the beads to allow a key change by shifting the weights. I suppose an early gravity switch ---- it was in the 90's and b4 the 2000 so Julia may be able to help. That system probably opened the end stops, but I don't know exactly, it just started me chuntering about the possibilities.
The Uwe Seitz set I have is 4 drones, with two tuning beads per big drone. The small one have only one, which is why sometimes there are two ridges across the blades -- to get all three notes in tune is freaky and very time consuming but it is possible.
The only problem noted is sometimes the plastic work "hardens" so after a couple of hours of use, minute adjustments are sometimes required, otherwise I am pleased with the results.

Dave
Dave S

Return to Pipemaking