maker named Storey

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

maker named Storey

Postby Dally » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 am

Does anyone have information on a pipemaker named G Storey, suspected to have been active in the 1930s?
many thanks
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Re: maker named Storey

Postby Julia Say » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 pm

George Storey, Gateshead, mentioned in Cocks 1933 booklet. NPS comm. member, died 1947 (I think)

Expert reedmaker who taught Billy Pigg and others the skill. Also good player, according to Tommy Breckons though they would not have overlapped by much, date-wise, and that means I would prefer independent confirmation of the stories.

Does that help at all? If you have access to a set known to be by him, I would be very grateful for copies of any photos for the records and for future projects.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Re: maker named Storey

Postby andymay » Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm

I met a guy named George Storey in the early 90s living in an old people's home in Low Fell. He'd been a piper from a family of pipers, and was, i belive, either the son or the nephew of the 'other' George Storey. He was very old at that time and unfortunately although i fully meant to go visit him and ask him about piping, he died before i got around to it. He didn't really mention if he himself had made any pipes or not.

Still it's possible that this was the George Storey that Tommy Breckons knew, since they would have overlapped by a far greater period.

Cheers
A
andymay

Full Name: andy may

Return to Pipemaking