Questions

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Questions

Postby bob Salter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:54 am

Hi every one.
I am working from Mike Nelsons drawings with( I think) great results.

1) How does the bellows normally connect to the bag? My uilleann pipes connect via a flexible rubber hose that looks like it belongs in a car somewhere. It is easy to connect and disconnect and extremely efficient. However I would like to go with what is traditional for nps'. Has anyone got a pic they could let me see?

2) If I post pics of what I am doing here will I get savaged? I am a hobbyist who thoroughly enjoys his hobby, NOT a pro maker. I am always up for CONSTRUCTIVE critisism but on one forum long ago I was attacked by a pro maker which has left me wary of trying it again.

Thanks
Bob
bob Salter

Full Name: Bob Salter

Re: Questions

Postby Richard Evans » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:27 pm

bob Salter wrote:
1) How does the bellows normally connect to the bag? My uilleann pipes connect via a flexible rubber hose that looks like it belongs in a car somewhere. It is easy to connect and disconnect and extremely efficient. However I would like to go with what is traditional for nps'. Has anyone got a pic they could let me see?

2) If I post pics of what I am doing here will I get savaged? I am a hobbyist who thoroughly enjoys his hobby, NOT a pro maker. I am always up for CONSTRUCTIVE critisism but on one forum long ago I was attacked by a pro maker which has left me wary of trying it again.
Bob

1. This is one of those things that is often not thought through in my opinion. The usual way is a shortish rubber/plastic tube with a connecting bush on the end. The dimensions date back to the time when this would be a stitched leather tube. This would be prone to kinking and so would ned to be relatively short. A spring was sometimes used to keep the tube open. Many of the tubes one sees are too wide, to fit over the bush, so are either too stiff or, again, prone to collapse.
I decided this tube should ideally be longer, and more flexible, for comfort, so I started shortening the blowpipe by an inch or so to allow for this, and I think this has proved succesful. For this, you need a non-collapsing inconspicuous tube, not too bulky. We use halfords heater hose, 12.7mm bore, which slips over the Delrin bushes we use when heated in boiling water. The surface is matt and the lettering comes off easily with cellulose thinners or some other solvents.
The length of the tube is pretty important for the comfort of the player of course.
For functional aspects like this, I firmly believe that 'traditional' does not always equate to 'best'.

2. Only one way to find out... but you won't be savaged by me!

Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Return to Pipemaking