Milling machine

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Milling machine

Postby bob Salter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi,
I am about to buy a milling machine and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. The one I was thinking of was the Axminster sieg sx2 mini mill http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-sieg-sx2-mini-mill-prod809899, but would welcome any opinions.

Thanks
Bob
bob Salter

Full Name: Bob Salter

Re: Milling machine

Postby Richard Evans » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 pm

I have had a similar machine for a few years. It was good value but the build quality leaves a bit to be desired, particularly the Z axis which you need to be very careful with. However I would look for a machine with a longer table, these are available at a similar sort of price from firms such as Arc Eurotrade or Amadeal ( I have no connection with either firm!). My machine has a table/X axis travel long enough for a chanter which is very useful indeed.
Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Postby pipemakermike » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 am

I have a Chester 626 millng machine and I use it almost every day. I have found it reasonably well made and easy to use. I would recommend getting digital readouts for any machine that you chose. Very similar machines are imported by other UK companies including Warco. http://www.warco.co.uk/milling-machines/40-vmc-turret-mill---vertical-milling-machine.html
My machine has the powerfeed on the main table only and I have only X & Y digital readouts.
If I was buying this machine again I would get it from Warco as I think that they have better aftersales service.
My Ideal machine would be a Bridgeport but I don't have room for one. I make a lot of different things on my machine not just pipes

Some of the things I make:-
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Francis Wood » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Bob, Richard has mentioned Arc-Euro Trade and they supply a machine similar to the one shown in your link.
I bought the version with the long table and found that firm excellent to deal with.

SIEG-manufactured machines are very much at the budget end of things, but nevertheless, excellent value if you are willing to do some work on the device before using it. If I were buying it anew, I would actually use Arc-Euro's own service which provides inspection and correction before the machine is despatched. They detail all the steps undertaken in a very informative pdf on their site. That service adds to the cost but would have saved me much time and experiment had I arranged it at the time.

Francis
Francis Wood

Postby bob Salter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Cool, Thanks for all the advice. Friday is decision day. I will post a pic of whatever I end up with.

Thanks again
Bob
bob Salter

Postby Richard Evans » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:56 am

pipemakermike wrote:I have a Chester 626 millng machine and I use it almost every day. I have found it reasonably well made and easy to use. I would recommend getting digital readouts for any machine that you chose. Very similar machines are imported by other UK companies including Warco. http://www.warco.co.uk/milling-machines/40-vmc-turret-mill---vertical-milling-machine.html
My machine has the powerfeed on the main table only and I have only X & Y digital readouts.
If I was buying this machine again I would get it from Warco as I think that they have better aftersales service.
My Ideal machine would be a Bridgeport but I don't have room for one. I make a lot of different things on my machine not just pipes

That's a very impressive machine- I don't have space for anything like that. Beautiful little engines too. I'd second the DRO suggestion, I have low cost scales fitted to the X and Z axes. Pretty vital, given that the pitch of the X feedscrew is 1.5mm/rev!
I also have an excellent CNC milling machine. This is British made, a Denford Triac, ex-schools 1980s vintage. A superb piece of kit, only had it a few months so really just getting to grips with it but it is already an immense time saver.
Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Postby bob Salter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:27 pm

This is what I ended up with. Its not very big but fine for f and g chanters.

image hosting

Bob
bob Salter

Postby Richard Evans » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:59 pm

Very similar indeed to mine but I think mine has a longer bed. I'm sure you'll find it extremely useful. The drill chuck is by no means ideal for milling of course, I fitted an ER collet chuck which gives a lot more accuracy. I use the same set of collets on the mini-lathe which is very handy.

Richard
Richard Evans

Postby pipemakermike » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes it looks fine. I too would council against holding milling cutters in a drill chuck as they can easily walk out (ask me how I know). I made special holders for mine when I was milling in the lathe.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby bob Salter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:38 am

Endmill holders or collet chuck? Which would be better.

Bob
bob Salter

Next

Return to Pipemaking