Milling machine

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Re: Milling machine

Postby pipemakermike » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:48 pm

A collet chuck will be the most versatile.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby KimBull » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm looking around at lathes and milling machines, and I've seem some on the Internet which combine the two eg-

http://www.warco.co.uk/milling-machines/302975-lathe-milling-attachment-combination-machine.html

However, the blurb states the milling machine attachment utilises the lathe cross slide as the milling table. I'm guessing this means that to mill key slots for example, the chanter would be removed from the headstock (orientated left to right), and places on the cross slide (orientated front to back) to be milled? Can anyone throw any light on this or offer advice?
KimBull

Full Name: Kim Bull

Postby Richard Evans » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 am

KimBull wrote:I'm looking around at lathes and milling machines, and I've seem some on the Internet which combine the two eg-

You have spotted the weakness of the combined machine, you would need to position the chanter crossways and with limited travel and in effect a very small table you would need to reposition it whilst working down each side of the chanter thus possibly losing accuracy.
I bought one of these years ago:
http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/XJ12- ... tml#SID=29

It gives 300mm of travel so you can cut the tone holes and slots on a whole side of the chanter in one go.
I fixed a DRO along the long (X) axis which was very useful.

This machine is typical Chinese, good value but not very well made. In particular the Z (vertical) axis requires great care. There are many firms selling them but they often have a shorter table than this one.
Richard Evans

Postby KimBull » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks Richard. That's helped clarify my thinking.
KimBull

Full Name: Kim Bull

Previous

Return to Pipemaking