Finishes on hardwood

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Finishes on hardwood

Postby bob Salter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:14 pm

I have two set, one by Dave Shaw and one by David Burleigh. On both the chanters appear to have been dipped in a very thick pu varnishand hung up to dry. Personally I have always used friction polish and wax except on blackwood and ebony which just got a light coat of Danish. Cocobolo is far to oily to take oil or varnish so Im guessing friction polish for this one too.

What are other makers thoughts on finishing?

Bob
bob Salter

Full Name: Bob Salter

Re: Finishes on hardwood

Postby pipemakermike » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Bob
I use wax polish on blackwood and some other close grained woods like Honduras Rosewood or Ebony. I have only used a sealer like button polish on woods that don't take a real shine when finished with 1200 wet and dry paper. I made a set of Scottish small pipes in Tulip wood and that needed sealing as did a set in Laburnum. There is some information on "friction" polish here:-
http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish10.shtml

The most important part of the chanter to get shiney is the bore and I believe that some makers have sealed this with a shellac polish if it wasnt polished enough.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Return to Pipemaking