Tuning slide repair

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Tuning slide repair

Postby GrahamRB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 am

I'd welcome advice on dealing with a fracture along the long brass tuning slide on a large D drone:

Would a dribble of solder be suitable as a temporary repair? What pitfalls am I likely to encounter?
(I'm one of Murphy's favourite customers :oops: )

I might be able to replace it but the only brass tubing available seems too thin walled to allow for 'decoration' rings ...presuming I could use my pen making mandrel with appropriate bushes. (anyone know of any 'how to' web pages?)

Meantime I'll try contacting the maker to see if it's an off the shelf part :)
Graham
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
GrahamRB

Full Name: GrahamRB

Re: Tuning slide repair

Postby pipemakermike » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:12 am

Hi Graham

It would be useful to know the make of the pipes. If it is a Burleigh set then the inside of the tube is an important surface and any repair should maintain the integrity of this surface. I would expect that Dave B would be able to supply a spare part. If it is not a Burleigh set then ignore the previous.
I can't see from your incomplete profile where you are so it is hard to offer a solution but give us a bit more info and I am sure that someone will be able to help. Possibly a picture would help (of the broken tube not yourself<G>)
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby GrahamRB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:37 am

pipemakermike wrote:(...) incomplete profile (...)
Profile updated ;)

Thanks for the reminder Mike, very remiss of me! ( :oops: particularly so when only yesterday I was promoting the 'give us a clue', as to location, on another forum!)

as to repair, it was more about the feasibility and potential pitfalls ... I suspect that the tuning slide may have been glued and am therefore wary of attempting removal ... equally wary of soldering in situ!!

Off to find the maker's number :)
Graham
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
GrahamRB

Postby GrahamRB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:29 pm

GrahamRB wrote:Off to find the maker's number :)

Found it, sorted a replacement, cheque in the post and a promise of 'by return of post' .... thanks for the advice Mike.
Graham
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
GrahamRB

Postby pipemakermike » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:27 am

Hi Graham

Well you are within spitting distance of me so, if you have a problem get ing touch and I will see if I can help
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby GrahamRB » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks Mike

Last night I thought I'd better clean up the rest of the brass ready for the shiny new D slide and discovered a hairline crack in the large G!! I've ordered a second tuning slide this morning :)

I'm still looking for a solution to an over oiled bag...
Graham
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
GrahamRB

Postby Brynley » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm

I've also a hairline crack on a brass drone slider and have sealed it with crazy glue which seems to work. However I might want to replace it, I thought D.Burleigh was out of business now, but I guess not yet!
Brynley

Full Name: Bryn Wilkin

Return to Pipemaking