Drilling keys and chanter

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Drilling keys and chanter

Postby bob Salter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:41 am

What is the best way to drill keys and the chanter for pins and riveting? Holding such a small drill is proving difficult with what I have now. I assume something like the proxxon drill with stand would be the ideal way to proceed, but I don't wish to buy one if there is an easier way that I am missing.

Cheers
Bob
bob Salter

Full Name: Bob Salter

Re: Drilling keys and chanter

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi Bob

I use a pin chuck that I have had since I was an apprentice

You should be able to find these on Ebay for small pounds. It makes holding a small drill much easier
I use this in a normal pillar drill.
I mark the pivot hole with the key in the chanter with a drill, pop mark the position and drill it.
Drilling the spring rivet hole is trickier. I clamp a drill vice to the pillar drill table and set the position using a drill of the same diameter as the key is thick. This ensures that the hole will be on the centre of the key. I use a tiny centre drill to set the centre and then drill through with the 1mm drill.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby bob Salter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 am

I found a drill chuck which closes down fully, allowing me to hold the drill in the pillar drill. The point about the centre drill is a great idea I think I will go and rake in the workshop and see what I can find. Things are progressing nicely now.

Bob
bob Salter

Postby Barry Say » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Why not get a Centre drill with a 1mm point

http://www.tapdie.com/html/centre_drill ... rill_.html

The point is quite long enough to drill keys.

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby bob Salter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, I have one now. I was going nuts trying to drill with a one mm drill. I have one chanter keyed and sprung, and to my amazement its working great. Just need to final tune now.

Thanks
Bob
bob Salter

Return to Pipemaking