Reed selection and set up.

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Reed selection and set up.

Postby gunnerstu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:25 pm

Hello to all on the Northumbrian Pipers' Society forum. Please forgive me for my ignorance but I am used to playing and maintaining a highland bagpipe. I have been given a set of Northumbrian Pipes by a friend to replace the drone and chanter reeds. When selecting reeds are all Northumbrian pipes made for a certain key of reed or are they inter-changable? If not how can I discover the unique key of pipes I have? What brand of reeds are a good set to buy and is there a guide on this forum on setting up new reeds? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Stuart
gunnerstu

Full Name: Stuart Gunn

Re: Reed selection and set up.

Postby pipemakermike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi Stuart
There are basically 2 possibilities. The most likely is that the set is a traditional F set - that is a set that plays tunes in G but sounds a full tone (or nearly a full tone) below. The second, less likely, is that the set is a concert pitch set that sounds a G when a G is played. We can make an educated guess of the pitch if you would measure the centre distance from the top finger hole on the front of the chanter to the botton finger hole on the front of the chanter.
If this distance is approx 89mm or 90mm then the set is a concert pitch set
If the distance is around 103mm or 104mm then the set is a traditional F set
If it is significantly greater than 110 then it is a D set although this is much less likely.

Is there any indication of the maker?

For reeds I would strongly suggest that the best person to advise and supply is Richard Evans. He is on this forum and is easy to contact.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Reed selection and set up.

Postby gunnerstu » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:36 am

Dear Mike,
Sorry about the delayed reply, I have not had access to the internet for a few days. I measured the chanter hole distance and it is bang on 104mm and so a traditional F set. I will contact Richard Evans about some Reeds. Thank you so much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.
gunnerstu

Full Name: Stuart Gunn

Return to Pipemaking