School Pipes a presentation of the project

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

School Pipes a presentation of the project

Postby pipemakermike » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:19 am

On the 17th of August, in the afternoon, I will be giving a talk at the Chantry in Morpeth on the whole Schoolpipe project covering the design and manufacturing of the sets.
I plan to cover the early stages, the design process and to shed some light on what has been a project subject to much uninformed and unfair criticism. I will cover the process I am undertaking to solve the poor quality manufacturing by Northern Assemblies, the contractor used for the manufacturing of most of the parts.
I will have half a dozen sets with me and I hope that anyone who wants to will get to have a play on a set.
I also plan to demonstrate the assembly of a set from a kit of parts to a working set.
I will also have some of the prototype parts including the prototype of the keyed chanter and the design information that I am working on to create a production keyed chanter for the future.
I am hoping that the talk will be a lively and interactive event and well attended.

pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: School Pipes a presentation of the project

Postby Dave S » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Mike,

I am really pleased that you are continuing to develop the school set, it is most interesting -- I would love to get my hands on a kit for such a set, as perhaps the schools in Luxembourg or France would be interested.
A thought for the drones -- I have 4 sets of cornemuse du centre by Rémi Dubois at present which are for sale for the benefit of the owners widow. I have been fettling on some of the sets and noticed how Réemi Dubois makes his drone reeds so I thought you may be able to experiment --
He makes the body out of white ABS milled flat ( very much as your own) but he glues a piece of veneer on the flat surface and mills in a small slot in the veneer, it acts, I believe, as a pressure controller. The reed blade is cut from flat white plastic sheet ( model makers supplies) and is fastened only with a cotton wrapping ( about 10-15 turns )and there is no bridle as the cotton wrap serves as fixing and bridle.
I will send a photo or two, if you would like me to.
cheers

Dave
Dave S

Full Name: Dave Singleton

Postby pipemakermike » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi Dave
It would be interesting to see a picture of the drone reeds. I have added a page to my website with a bit more information about the School pipes. and I have also uploaded a PDF version of the Powerpoint presentation.
Presentation
Schoolpipe update page
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Dawnraider11 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm really interested in the School Pipes. Is it possible to buy them yet? If not, do you have a waiting list I could get on?

Thanks,
Timothy
Dawnraider11

Full Name: Timothy Hamilton

Postby Dawnraider11 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm very interesting in the School Pipes. When will they become available for purchase? Is there a waiting list my name can go on?

Timothy
Dawnraider11

Full Name: Timothy Hamilton

Return to Pipemaking