Drone reeds for my Evans Border pipes

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Drone reeds for my Evans Border pipes

Postby tomchilds » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Hello
I just recently bought a second hand set of border pipes or Half Longs made by Evans and they came with brass body/plastic tongue drone reeds. I don't know if they are original and the are very brash and unsteady. At first, I contacted Richard Evans to see if I may be possible to get replacement drone reeds but learned that he no longer makes this type of bagpipe and therefore could not make replacement reeds so I've looked around and made inquiries but I'm finding that the lower section / reed seat drone bores are much smaller in diameter than commercially produced synthetic drone reeds for border pipes. How can I go about either getting new drone reeds or rebuilding what I have. I would greatly appreciate any advice that can be had.
Thanks
tomchilds

Full Name: Tom Childs

Re: Drone reeds for my Evans Border pipes

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:23 am

Hello Tom
One person who might be able to supply reeds is Nigel Richard of Garvie pipes who can be found at:-
http://www.garviebagpipes.co.uk/info/general/home.html
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Drone reeds for my Evans Border pipes

Postby tomchilds » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:40 pm

I am happy to report that Richard Evans has contacted me and has agreed to make a replacement set of drone reeds for my pipes. I am very grateful. Thank you, Richard.
tomchilds

Full Name: Tom Childs

Return to Pipemaking