reed making - reed stops at target pressure.

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

reed making - reed stops at target pressure.

Postby alaseridan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:58 am

I've made a chanter reed that I've been making small adjustments to in effort to get the low notes playing consistently. At this point all the notes are clear and strong at a pressure where they are all one note flat, when I raise the pressure to the point where all notes are just about at the correct pitch the reed simply stops. Before making further adjustments to the reed I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice. It has actually been awhile since I last tested the reed and I don't remember the exact pressure I was working at but I'm pretty sure it was between 14" and 18" on the manometer.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
alaseridan

Full Name: Nate Hallahan

Re: reed making - reed stops at target pressure.

Postby Julia Say » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:52 am

It depends which system of reedmaking you are using, but in this position, I would start by clipping fine increments off the tips of the blades until the reed plays at the correct pitch. It is probable that doing this will then necessitate other adjustments such as opening or closing the reed to adjust pressure, but I'd try to get the pitch "right" first.

Hope this helps.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby pipemakermike » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Nate
It would be helpful if you could give us some dimensions of the reed - blade length (tip to bridle) and overall length
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby alaseridan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. According to Mike's instructions on his website clipping the blades should increase the pitch and pressure which is probably what I need to do. I've been following Colin Ross' videos on youtube for the reed making technique and keeping my dimensions as close as possible to Mike's directions.

I'll be able to post the exact dimensions monday night after I visit the shop.
alaseridan

Postby alaseridan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:37 am

My reed is 50.70mm overall, tip to bridle is about 21mm, the thickness at the end is 0.36mm (about), and the opening is currently at just about 1mm. I sucked on the the reed until it stopped, then squeezed the sides of it and the sound came back. Could it be that I thinned the front too much and that is causing it to shut?
alaseridan

Postby pipemakermike » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:28 am

Here is a link to some reed data I collected a while ago:-
http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/smallp ... 110914.pdf

The data was all collected while I was making reeds for schoolpipes but I now use the rig to set up all my reeds. Details of the rig and the proceedure here:-

http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/smallp ... etting.htm

Mike
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Richard Evans » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:44 pm

I have a constant pressure supply system for testing pipes. It's a bottled propane gas demand valve with an air supply from my compressor. The valve is the big sort used for large bottles for kitchens where there is no piped gas. It's red in colour which I think denotes a particular specification (you can also get blue ones).
It's not supposed to be easily adjustable but you can remove a cover and adjust the output pressure easily enough.
I just connect it to the blowpipe of the set. Using it is a bizarre experience since if you squeeze the bag there is no change in pressure applied to the chanter (within reason). I have found it useful in the past but having learned from it, I don't use it much these days- I rely on the digital manometer and my left arm for most purposes.
Richard Evans

Postby kilgour » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:38 am

Red regulator is set at 37mb and the blue at 28mb.
kilgour

Full Name: Gordon Kilgour

Return to Pipemaking