Modern Concert Pitch Chanters

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Re: Modern Concert Pitch Chanters

Postby Silversmith » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:13 am

In retrospect I have taken the suggestion from Andy May concerning flattening the chanter using a file etc in the finger hole section & milling the remainder key holes so that the tone holes match the recommended lenghts. I would have to say that I actually like the look & feel of the flat finger surface. I have left it a fraction oversize so that I can hollow the tone holes slightly if I need to, which should make the holes easier to find as well, & maybe give me some fine tuning I hope. I have yet to work on the next batch of Kamakasi reeds but I like the look & feel of it so far. Tomorrow I will do the same with the D chanter but that one is closer to pitch anyway, still not perfect though.
Silversmith

Full Name: John Ross

Postby andymay » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:12 am

[quote="Silversmith"]In retrospect I have taken the suggestion from Andy May

Here's hoping it works then!! Gulp!!

How much did you have to take off? Couple of mm?

Let us know what happens with reeding it up!

Cheers
A
andymay

Full Name: andy may

Postby Silversmith » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi Andy, Good news is that you were right. Both chanters were parallel at 15mm so I mainly filed them both to the equivalent of the recommended 11mm - 13mm taper & then milled the remaining key holes Luckily though I left the finger hole area just a fraction oversize so that I could bore a neat little recess in each hole since on a flat surface I found it not so easy to feel the tone holes otherwise. This will also I believe allow me a little tuning leeway on each hole. I really like the end result they are quite comfortable to hold & both chanters are now within the target pitch at last. I have asked Richard if he will make me a G reed for the purpose of comparison and as a master. So I will do no more to that chanter until that is ready. As I say I really like the flat finger board & have used a similar form for both my Metal UP chanter & also my nickel flute so this is starting to look like my signature. I will get some photos as soon as I have finished tinkering with the keys etc but I feel a sound file might be a way off at least until I have more confidence.
Silversmith

Postby Silversmith » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:12 am

So with many Thanks to Richard Evans who has been kind enough to supply me with a good reed that I can use as a standard I have been able to begin undercutting & in this case slightly counter boring the tone holes on my G chanter & it is very nearly in tune so I am taking a little time to evaluate my progress so far before having another go at finishing it off "With a bit of luck & a fair wind".
My D chanter is playing fine & in the mean time I have finally been ably to re-fettle my old 1980's G chanter which I am finally able to use.
The whole experience has been a series of hard lessons but I am so happy to at least have a set I can play for now. We have a new NSP group meeting in Totnes Devon now, so I have a chance to learn with some fine players & I am embarking on starting to make myself a new Blackwood set using the wood provided from within the Society, this time I will attempt to make an F+ chanter & another G chanter. I suspect I will be thought of as a "sucker for punishment" but I just cannot resist the challenge. I will post the progress of my Blackwood set for any who may be interested on my facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/JohnRossSilversmith
Thank you again to everyone who has contributed to helping me with this quest
John Ross
Silversmith

Previous

Return to Pipemaking