Burleigh keys with Nelson design

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Burleigh keys with Nelson design

Postby Seth » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 pm

I bought a few sets of 7 key sets from the Society a couple weeks back from their Burleigh pipemaking parts. I should have them any day so I've been readying my shop to try my hand at a few sets. My question is, can I use the Burleigh keys with the Nelson hole spacings/design and will they work with slotted mounts due to the nature of manufacture being casted. I compared the hole spacing difference between Nelson and Burleigh and it appears to be only a few mm's difference between the two with the Nelson being the longer of the two when measured from the very tip. My thought is that the difference is mainly in the reed seat depth but I'm quite new to NSP's, not smallpipes in general as a maker for 17 years, so I'm slowly learning the differences of how these pipes are manufactured and need guidance.

Thanks,Seth
Seth Hamon
Maker of Swedish, Irish, & Scottish bagpipes
www.SwedishBagpipes.com
Seth

Full Name: Seth Hamon

Re: Burleigh keys with Nelson design

Postby Richard Evans » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Can't really help with this one, never made a direct comparison.
Richard Evans

Re: Burleigh keys with Nelson design

Postby Tpfairfax » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:33 am

Seth. I haven't had any problems with this. Make sure you don't make your blocks "too elegant" till you have fitted the keys if you are worried about size.

Good luck

T
Tpfairfax

Full Name: Tom Fairfax

Return to Pipemaking