Reflections of a Novice Chanter Reedmaker

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Re: Reflections of a Novice Chanter Reedmaker

Postby Richard Evans » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Anita has used an unorthodox method of closing the reed with a lot of success.

1. Fold the cane and tie a loop of thread round the blades near the outer end.
2. Insert the staple. Hold the reed by the bottom end using pliers.
3. Heat the staple end (she uses a gas stove) gently until the cane is hot.
4. Slide the thread loop up the blades towards the staple. The cane is softened by the heat and bends easily round the staple.

More details/pics on our website.
Richard Evans

Re: Reflections of a Novice Chanter Reedmaker

Postby KimBull » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks for all of your advice Francis, John, Richard and a Gill. It's great to hear that there are so many 'right ways' to make reeds!

Francis, I've pinched your idea about keeping notes on my findings. At the moment it's more of a record of the reeds I've made with notes of how happy I am with the end product together with any obvious differences/methods used in making them. I've also started to experiment with different staple lengths, but it's too early to make any generalisations yet. My initial thought are that reducing the staple length from 7/8" to 5/8" doesn't seem to make any difference (so is non-critical?), except it makes the making process slightly fiddly.

Richard, thanks for the pointer to your website and methods -it's really interesting to see and read through. I think I'll get in touch with you and order one of your reeds so I can have a close look and listen if that's ok.

John, I haven't tried the 'several stages' method of closing/binding so should really give it a go.

The only reeds that I've split when putting them on the staple have been ones made from slips thinned the 25 thou. I wonder if by keeping the slip at the 'smoothed, gouged' thickness of 35 thou, they are strong enough to resist splitting? It certainly saves time making them this way, and I'm happy with the sound.

Gill, good luck if (when!) you start making reeds. It won't be a masterclass, but I'm more than happy to share my 20 or so reeds worth of experience with you or anyone else for that matter!
KimBull

Full Name: Kim Bull

Previous

Return to Pipemaking