Length of Keyless Chanter

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Length of Keyless Chanter

Postby MattMaier » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:48 am

This is mostly a question for Mike Nelson if he happens to read it. I'm wanting to make a set of keyless Northumbrian smallpipes as a first pipe making project. I have been told that Mike Nelson's designs are the ones to go by. How much length needs to be taken off so that a keyless chanter tunes correctly?
MattMaier

Full Name: Matthew Lee Maier

Re: Length of Keyless Chanter

Postby MattMaier » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:48 am

Sorry for the double post. I made it before I was aware the post needed to be approved by a moderator.
MattMaier

Postby MattMaier » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:00 am

Hey, sorry for the double post on this one. I was not aware that the posts had to be approved by a moderator so I tried posting it a second time when I didn't see it come up.
MattMaier

Postby pipemakermike » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi Mathew

The length below the bottom g hole of an unkeyed chanter is not so important but if you take the length of the chanter below the bottom D hole of the seven keyed chanter and add it below the bottom G hole of the unkeyed holes you should have a working chanter. I will try to find time to update the drawings to have a keyles chanter drawing as it is a really good place to start your journey into pipemaking.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Feasag » Fri May 08, 2015 5:19 pm

i recently discovered that a set of three well-made blackwood drones with stoppers on chains that I have are copies of those in plate 6 in C and B. That being so I am thinking of making a chanter to the dimensions shown in the book. Presumably others have done this in the past so I thought it best to ask if the resulting chanter was satisfactory, before I start cutting wood. I have made several SSP chanters in the past, it is the dimensions which are my concern.
Donald Anderson. South Uist, (feasag)
Feasag

Full Name: Donald

Postby pipemakermike » Sun May 31, 2015 3:25 pm

I would guess that you are talking about the chanter for the Dunn set in the second edition of C&B. I have made the chanter for the Dunn set as shown in the first edition and I can confirm that it works quite well. This was the first set I made in 1979/80. I have attached a scan of the first edition drawing, sorry it is cut off at the top but C&B is an unusual size being 13.5" high x 9" wide and I can't find what this used to be called. Click on the link below for the scan of the Dunn chanter

http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/smallpipes/1st%20edition%20dunn%20chanter.jpg
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Return to Pipemaking