Hole in center of drone socket

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Hole in center of drone socket

Postby pfostr » Sat May 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Newbie here checking air-tightness of my new-to-me 1990s era Burleigh set. Discovered a small hole in the center of the drone socket that looks like a screw used to be there but now is leaking air somehow. First impulse is to plug it up or put another screw in there but then thought to look before I leap, should I leave it be (perhaps some reason for it to exist)? Many thanks! :?:
pfostr

Full Name: Russell Pfost

Re: Hole in center of drone socket

Postby pipemakermike » Sun May 31, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi Russell
It is possible that it is just a center drilled hole used to support the stock while it is being turned. I would think that you can block it up with glue with out causing any problems.
Who made the set?
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby pfostr » Sun May 31, 2015 5:07 pm

Burleigh set - the bag was leaking so I replaced it and in testing the air-tightness I noticed air coming out of the small hole. I am suspicious there may be cracks in the drone socket leaking air to the small hole, can't see too well but plugging the small hole with a bit of glue sounds reasonable.
pfostr

Postby RobSay » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm

It's not really the sort of thing that could happen accidentally - there should be 2cm of wood there as a minimum in a common chambered stock - and the full length of the stock if the drone reeds are separately chambered.

This one is a long shot - but the best explanation would be that the stock is drilled for a drone switch. There fairly rare and I've only seen a handful on Burleigh sets.
* How many drones are there?
* When you replaced the bag - did you see a common chamber, individual chambers or something else?
* What's the diameter of the hole (~1.5mm)?

The switch might even never have been fitted - and the hole previously filled with wax ..

R
RobSay

Postby pfostr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:56 pm

The drones are separately chambered, though I can see some thin cracks in the side of the largest chamber. The small (screw?) hole (maybe 2 mm) in the middle emits a small breeze when I cork up the drone chambers and the chanter stock and operate the bellows. I filled it up with Elmer's glue which has dried clear now and it seems to have solved the issue for now anyway.
pfostr

Return to Pipemaking