Page 1 of 1

Reed making test rig

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:11 pm
by Silversmith
Hi everyone,
I am hoping to set up an accurate pressure test rig for setting up & testing reeds. I note that Mike Nelson has done some extensive work using a 5 bar compressor & I am wondering if anyone has any further developements that they would like to share. In particular I am interested in the method of controlling the pressure for NSP reeds & also any moisture content.
I already use a manometer but you must all know how tiresome it can be inflating & deflating the bag using bellows can be each time you need to re-adjust a reed.
Much respect for Mike Nelson & all of his sterling work in these areas.
Thank you once again in advance.
John Ross

Re: Reed making test rig

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:19 pm
by Richard Evans
I have used a bottled gas regulator coupled to a compressor, feeding into the blowpipe, with a manometer connected to one of the drones. This works very well. I tried testing reeds without a bag but the lack of bag resonance throws a chanter badly out of tune.
It's an odd sensation using the thing, no matter how hard you squeeze the bag (within reason) the internal pressure remains the same.

Richard

Re: Reed making test rig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:24 pm
by Silversmith
Hi' Richard, Thank you & in that case I might think about setting up two rigs one for drone reeds & one for chanters. Was that an adjustable gas regulator or did you have another device to adjust the pressure?

Re: Reed making test rig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 am
by Richard Evans
It's a large type, about four inches across, not the little ones used for caravan gas. You can unscrew a plastic cover and adjust the pressure with a screwdriver whilst the outlet is connected to a manometer.

Re: Reed making test rig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:53 pm
by Silversmith
Thank you Richard,
I do have one of those in a box somewhere, I will dig it out & have a look inside to see if I can maybe make it externally adjustable. I bought a job lot of 10mm gas fittings which also included a couple of fire valves which seem to have quite some adjustability so maybe a combination of the two. I have a new compressor on order so I will post my results as soon as I have any.