Fullers Earth for recovery of contaminated chanter reeds

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Fullers Earth for recovery of contaminated chanter reeds

Postby Tpfairfax » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Something that I have discovered by accident (apols if this is old hat)

I was servicing a spare set of pipes this week and, like an utter fool, forgot to clean my hands between operations and managed to get some oil on the chanter reed. (I acknowledge a slapped wrist for lack of process,discipline etc!) Those who have been here before will know that it makes it go a) dull and b) wobbly. I happened to have been clearing out an old cupboard and had found some of my old Chemical Decontamination pads (full of fuller's earth) from a previous life.

On a whim (nothing to lose) I opened a pad and put the reed in a sealed tupperware box full of the Fullers earth overnight - Reed back to new. On a further whim, I tried a couple of old reeds taken from old sets and put these in too - brightened them up no end.

You do need a good soft brush (I used a soft watercolour brush) to clean them (and some dry air to blow them out) but was pretty good.

Whilst I suspect it won't fix everything - for older or contaminated reeds which are knackered anyway - or persistently wobbly reeds - certainly worth a try - I see you can buy 250g (quite a bit) on amazon for about £3. Certainly cheaper than a new reed (if that is the problem). Wracking memory for training -it probably needs to be kept in a sealed box (so it doesn't absorb too much moisture from the air) and replaced periodically (depending on how much contamination it is soaking up....)

Also don't sneeze into it...(!)
Tpfairfax

Full Name: Tom Fairfax

Return to Pipemaking