Jock Wilson of Fenton

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Jock Wilson of Fenton

Postby RobSay » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Not strictly pipes but piping repetoire:- I've always known the much loved rant "Jock Wilson of Fenton" as a Bryce Anderson tune. Turns out there are some much older tunes in the same theme: http://milecastle27.co.uk/rob/2011/06/j ... of-fenton/
(sound clips on concertina - I wasn't going to learn the other tunes on pipes)

I'm still trying to discover when and how the name got assigned - I've one unattributed reference that 'JW of F' is Jock Wilson the Cheviot Ranter's drummer. Does anybody have anything to confirm this? The earliest recording I'm aware of is 1983 (Harthope Burn - my sleeve notes are inaccessible at the moment) and the earliest print reference is the first Alnwick book (1981).

thanks

Rob
RobSay

Re: Jock Wilson of Fenton

Postby Julia Say » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:49 am

According to Jimmy Little, there were three Wilson brothers, who all played drums. Jock was the last surviving, passing away a year or so ago. Yes he was the Cheviot Ranters drummer.
I can't get at the LPs ATM but if the tune is on there, that pushes your date back by ten years or so.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Re: Jock Wilson of Fenton

Postby John Gibbons » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Bryce's tune is obviously growing from a seed that was already around - he must surely have had access to Kerr's Merry Melodies - but turning an ordinary hornpipe into a rant worked spectacularly well here. The 2 repeated crotchets in bar 1 tell the dancers exactly what they need to know.

But many thanks for digging out the precursors!
John Gibbons

Return to General Forum