September TOTM suggestions

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

September TOTM suggestions

Postby Dally » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:08 pm

How about some suggestions for September's TOTM? Rather than specific tunes, perhaps we could choose one of several catagories.

Peacock tunes
NPS Book 1
Billy Pigg
Tom Clough

It's never too late to post a TOTM performance. I hope to get "Peacock Follows the Hen" on the NSP posted this weekend.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Re: September TOTM suggestions

Postby OldTomsRant » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 am

Hi,

How about the following:

Peacock - Cuddy Claw'd Her
NPS Book 1 - Whittle Dene Hornpipe (because it's often overlooked)
Billy Pigg - no preference - not my cup of tea any more
Tom Clough - Shadows

Alternatively, how about Old Tom's Rant - it's from the Clough repertoire, yet to me has all the hallmarks of a Peacock composition?

Chris
OldTomsRant

Full Name: Chris Ormston

Postby OldTomsRant » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:01 am

Just realised I missed the point of John's post - please ignore my earlier suggestions.

Category-wise I'd vote for Peacock for September, then maybe at a later date we could look at the Clough versions of Peacock's settings.

Chris
OldTomsRant

Full Name: Chris Ormston

Postby Dally » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:28 pm

The consensus for September's TOTM is Peacock, specifically "Cuddy Claw'd Her".
This tune can be played on the Northumbrian half-long pipes (which I think should be called the Northumbrian twice as long pipes), as well as the Northumbrian smallpipes.
Remember, you can post any month's tune at any time. I hope to have my NSP "Peacock follows the Hen" up soon.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Postby Matt Seattle » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Cuddy Claw'd Her - OK, if a 'consensus' is reached by three people!! But there is little rationale for recommending Peacock's setting to players of Border pipes, as it is one of his tunes which are so obviously 'adapted' to smallpipes by the replacement of all the low F naturals - with high e, of all possibilities.

It's not a tune I've gone for so far myself, but Dixon's setting is convincing, and one I've heard convincingly played by Pete Stewart and Dave Faulkner. The Clough setting is also worth serious consideration: it has the authority not only of the Cloughs but of the 'Charlton' book, presumably from one of John Armstrong of Carrick's mss, and also of the enigmatic Reavely ms., presumed to be roughly contemporary with Peacock. The very lightly 'unadapted' version is in the current edition of the 'little yellow book'.

And yes I'm working on all the tunes but don't have a camera!!
Matt Seattle

Full Name: Matt Seattle

Postby Dally » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:48 pm

This is a very nice recording posted by Edric Ellis's on the NSP NG:
http://soundcloud.com/edric-ellis/cuddy ... r-1st-sept
Dally

Postby Dally » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Matt Seattle wrote:Cuddy Claw'd Her - OK, if a 'consensus' is reached by three people!! But there is little rationale for recommending Peacock's setting to players of Border pipes, as it is one of his tunes which are so obviously 'adapted' to smallpipes by the replacement of all the low F naturals - with high e, of all possibilities.

It's not a tune I've gone for so far myself, but Dixon's setting is convincing, and one I've heard convincingly played by Pete Stewart and Dave Faulkner. The Clough setting is also worth serious consideration: it has the authority not only of the Cloughs but of the 'Charlton' book, presumably from one of John Armstrong of Carrick's mss, and also of the enigmatic Reavely ms., presumed to be roughly contemporary with Peacock. The very lightly 'unadapted' version is in the current edition of the 'little yellow book'.

And yes I'm working on all the tunes but don't have a camera!!

Thanks for the insight into the different settings, Matt. I've been playing through the different settings and so far the Cloughs' has caught my attention over the others for NSP, because of the Fnat and final variation. For BP or SSP, it's Dixon for me...at least for now.
Dally

Return to General Forum