Old traditions dying out

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Old traditions dying out

Postby John Gibbons » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Why are there no good knock-down arguments on this BB, as there used to be on Dartmouth?

Hardly anybody choytes properly nowadays, either.

John
John Gibbons

Re: Old traditions dying out

Postby pipemakermike » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:01 am

Hi John
Generally a forum is a more genteel place, can deliver a more serious discussion and it remains available for future members to read. Things posted are there for a long time and visible to everyone, even people who are not signed up to the forum, so more care is taken and mostly the aggressive arguments rarely gain any traction.
Posts can be edited so that responses, posted in anger, can be softened or tweaked to increase the understanding.
The old days of the mailing list are coming to an end. I was signed up to quite a few focused on mandolin, CAD, Bluegrass and Aeromodelling. All have now given way to a forum based discussion facility and the value of the information and the speed of response has improved significantly.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Francis Wood » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Ah, it's not like it was in the old days! . . .

Like John, I rather miss the Dartmouth Rant.

A few days ago I was clearing out some old emails and found myself once again in the middle of The Troubles of 2009.
A good thing we needn't go there again! The Forum seems an altogether better place.

What say we all assemble on Dartmouth for a final bout of really satisfying unpleasantness, for old times sake? And then move on.

Francis
Francis Wood

Postby John Gibbons » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:28 pm

The Dartmouth Rant - do I feel a tune coming on?

Civilisation may have its advantages,
but the rough and tumble of a good scrap on Dartmouth did occasionally generate light as well as heat.

John
John Gibbons

Postby Julia Say » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:24 pm

I tend to agree with you, John: much positive came out of those "lively discussions". Unfortunately, though, following them required a robust constitution not always shared by all subscribers. Perhaps more importantly, they also had a habit of naming folk who were not there to stand up for themselves in response.I would love to have heard the other side of some of the arguments, but from the horses' mouths, not mediated at third or fourth hand.

Hopefully we can still have lively discussion on here: the numbers are increasing gradually.

Meanwhile Dartmouth Rant sounds good to me.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby Dally » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm glad the good ol' days of secret alliances, subterfuge, hostage taking, claims to the throne, turf wars, black mail, free lancing, reiving, hot trods, and fueds are behind us. I was just thinking of that last night as I read Jeanne Campbell's book on Highland pipemakers and came across a bellows blown Scottish smallpipe with three drones in a common stock, tenor-baritone-bass, made in 1827.
:twisted:
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Postby adrian » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:29 am

I'm here and I like old traditions not dying out. Where shall we start?
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Postby Dally » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:07 am

adrian wrote:I'm here and I like old traditions not dying out. Where shall we start?

How do you feel about the gentry and their role in the NPS? ;)
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Postby Barry Say » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:25 am

Dally wrote:How do you feel about the gentry and their role in the NPS? ;)

Dear John,

Some oil has been poured on those troubled waters in another place and I think this not the time to strike a match.

I think the issue might appear slightly different from your side of the pond where your society has a rather different structure. In the early part of the 20th century some well-meaning gentlefolk felt that traditional music was too important to be left in the hands of the untutored masses. The NPS was formed in 1928 without the involvement of the foremost piping family of the time and the First President was vigorous in promoting the Half-longs. Despite this, Tom Clough exercised great influence through his teaching, and it was only with the death of Tommy Breckons, that the last living link to that strand was broken.

There are many tensions and differences in the history of piping and the Society and we would do well to try and understand them so that we can spend more time piping and less time fighting impossible battles. Some of the positions are irreconcilable, but that does not mean that we shouldn't be able to work together where we have common interests and pursue our own visions with those of like mind.

Barry - speaking entirely for himself, in a personal capacity.
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby adrian » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:52 pm

I have no problems with the gentry or with them playing the pipes. Infact, they have no problems with me, either. It is fact that I do not like figureheads of society being elected when they have not done anything for our cause. Lots of people suck-up to people who have more money, a star or a football player, etc. I do not!
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Next

Return to General Forum