Old traditions dying out

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Re: Old traditions dying out

Postby adrian » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Barry,
Although TB's was the last person to be taught with TC, the strand has not been broken. I knew TB and he did show me some techniques on how to play the NSP's as handed down by TC. I believe CO and AM may have had the same lessons. The pedigree is still alive!
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Postby Julia Say » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 pm

I agree, Adrian. The last person directly taught by famous Tom may have died, but the strand goes on. We are all, in our various ways, the stewards of that, and must pass it on as best we can. That's part of what a living tradition is about.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby Dally » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Barry, my comment was a joke, a jab, a goud in the spirit of the old traditions. If it gave offense I apologize.
We don't have a Pipers Society here, but we do have a society of pipers. Perhaps this is a topic for a different thread. We wander happily in the wilderness. I just hope there will be a new wave of interest in the pipes here. I hate to think of NSP in the PNW disappearing when we all go to the great pipe workshop in the sky.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Postby Barry Say » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Dear John,

Dont worry, I did not take offence.

If you want to promote the pipes the only way that really works is to learn to play as well as you can and let other people hear. That will attract others to follow in your steps. I don't think we should be trying to convert too many people to 'the piping way'. Northumbrian piping has grown steadily throughout the twentieth century and there is no reason why it should not continue to do so. But I fear any attempt to try to artificially accelerate the process.

I believe that 'helping pipers to pipe better' should be the keynote principle of the Society and the society.

Leaves soapbox
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby Dally » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Barry Say wrote:I believe that 'helping pipers to pipe better' should be the keynote principle of the Society and the society.

Well said, Barry!
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Previous

Return to General Forum