Teaching effective Bellows technique

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Teaching effective Bellows technique

Postby Barry Say » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:32 pm

I have taken the liberty of copying Francis Woods' post to a new forum.

Francis Wood wrote:When teaching someone new to NSP, I always begin with the bellows on their own, and encourage a gentle but full action making use of their full capacity. It helps to partly close the output with the thumb so that there is some resistance as in ordinary use, as well as making the valve operate.

In my view, beginners should always do this exercise as part of their practice sessions. Observation of quite a few advanced players suggests that this aspect hasn't been sufficiently emphasised when they were getting used to the instrument.

Francis

Any comments?
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Re: Teaching effective Bellows technique

Postby adrian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:25 am

Have someone who has experience to help you. The pipe-drones are tuned already by the experienced player. Put the pipes on, with the bellows too! Pump the bellows and the bag inflates. Keep pressure on the bag with your left arm. (at this time, try to keep the same pressure on the bag with your arm). The best pressure is what the drones are in tune at. Try to keep the pitch of the drones steady. The pitch will go up and down when: the bellows are used to inflate the bag and used to suck in air for the next pump of the bellows. This is a quick guide.
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Re: Teaching effective Bellows technique

Postby adrian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 am

adrian wrote:Have someone who has experience to help you. The pipe-drones are tuned already by the experienced player. Put the pipes on, with the bellows too! Pump the bellows and the bag inflates. Keep pressure on the bag with your left arm. (at this time, try to keep the same pressure on the bag with your arm). The best pressure is what the drones are in tune at. Try to keep the pitch of the drones steady. The pitch will go up and down when: the bellows are used to inflate the bag and used to suck in air for the next pump of the bellows. This is a quick guide.

Now. There are dfferent ways of pumping the bellows and this depends on how airtight they are are and/or how the player wants to use them.
I use the bellows to inflate the bag at a leisurely rate; I am constantly pumping them at a very slow rate, sometimes. (Inhale and exhale). ((My spelling may go here)). Some players inflate with one stroke with no pressure on the bag. Some inflate with a high pressure on the bellows to inflate a high pressure bag. I am halfway.
I hope this makes sense.
There are many ways of winding, contolling but not playing.
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Return to General Forum