More pipes to identify

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

More pipes to identify

Postby Julia Say » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:39 pm

I've just been sent the attached print. Actually the attached is a detail of the original, but all the pipes information is there.
NRO 9458-54-cropped.jpg
NRO 9458-54-cropped.jpg (710.25 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

It is a print from a glass slide, dated 1900-20 by the Wood horn Archives people, and supposedly taken in the Bellingham area of Northumberland.

Would anyone care to expound?

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Re: More pipes to identify

Postby Francis Wood » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Interesting image, Julia!

The angle of the photography makes identification a little difficult. However, here are some negative suggestions.

I can't see any reason not to suppose that the blowpipe and drones on the LH set are by Robert Reid. That all looks satisfactorily characteristic. I wouldn't say the same about the chanter - a very decent looking item but with uncharacteristic key covers.

No idea about the RH set though it looks nice. I'd say those bellows were modern, if they weren't appearing on a glass negative!

Francis
Francis Wood

Re: More pipes to identify

Postby Julia Say » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:01 pm

The same reaction to the bellows was made by Tom Swinney and Colin R last night - I made a reasonable quality print. I have no reason to suppose that the image is other than stated by the owner, so.....we have to assume the bellows are c. 100 years old

My feeling also was that the LH set contained at least elements of Reid - one of the ferrules shows visible taper, if nothing else. As to the RH one, the drones are of the short ferrule design, where the slide goes beyond the ferrule into wood, something that I associate more with ssp, though I have made nsp like that. The diameter of the drones is also substantial, and the tuning beads are metal. I wondered if it was a set made by a GHB maker looking to diversify (or commissioned to make the set) at a time when there were very few active nsp makers.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Return to General Forum