Maggie Lauder: Tune of the Month for June '12

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Maggie Lauder: Tune of the Month for June '12

Postby Dally » Thu May 31, 2012 9:04 pm

The Tune of the Month for June is "Maggie Lauder." Consider it a tribute to all women pipers, especially the two I approached about making the selection this month but who didn't get the message, apparently. I hope this tune will inspire a few more pipers to participate. Here's a link to Chris Ormston's recording on soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/chrisormston/maggie-lauder
There are lots of different settings to choose from, including several that go very well on the Border/Lowland/Northumbrian Half-long pipes.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Re: Maggie Lauder: Tune of the Month for June '12

Postby Matt Seattle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 am

Sorry no video, John, but synchronously, at yesterday's Tutors' Concert at the Coldstream Border Gaitherin I played Maggie Lauder on Border pipes in duet with Martin Marroni on flute. As friends of Rob The Ranter, the Border piper in Maggie Lauder's song, we were delighted to be playing his and her tune "upo' the Border" - you can't get closer to the Border than Coldstream.

If you be Rob, I've heard o' you,
Live ye upo' the border ?
The lasses a', baith far and near,
Hae heard o' Rob the Ranter;
I'll shake my foot wi' right guid will,
Gin ye'll blaw up your chanter.
Matt Seattle

Full Name: Matt Seattle

Postby edric » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 am

I'm still working on knocking the tune into shape (and I think it's going to take me quite a bit more work). Just in case others weren't already aware of this article by Matt (as I wasn't), I found it very interesting http://lbps.net/lbps/repertoire/65-maggie-lauder.html.
edric

Full Name: Edric Ellis

Postby Dally » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 pm

I've been busy this month with my daughter who required surgery, so I might be late.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi All,

I uploaded this to Soundcloud about 3 months ago, but hope to upload the Reid variations as soon as I can get my fingers around a couple of sections.

http://soundcloud.com/wallie-ogilvie/maggy-lauder

I wrongly assumed that Cloughs would be more difficult, but I'm finding Reid's trickier, particularly that last strain, so I think John's being rather over optimistic if he thought this tune would encourage more to participate.It's a tough one to play! Maybe I'll try the version by Billy Pigg instead!!!

Wallie
Wallie Ogilvie

Postby Dally » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:13 am

Point taken,Wallie. July's selection might get more people to participate.
Dally

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here's my attempt at Maggie Lauder from the Reid manuscript.

http://soundcloud.com/wallie-ogilvie/maggie-lauder

I didn't intend it to be so fast, but I found I was making fewer errors at this speed than I was playing it slower. I'm still trying to slow it down a bit and get it more accurate, but I found this the most difficult TOTM so far!

Good luck to anyone else who tries it!!

Wallie
Wallie Ogilvie

Return to General Forum