Discussion is dead.

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Re: Discussion is dead.

Postby pipemakermike » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Barry Say wrote:In January of this year I wrote:

I am considering whether to delete the Welcome and BB Organisation Forums and move all the sections in Northumbrian Pipers Discussion space up a level? This would mean that visitors to the BB woulds immediately see what currently appears in Northumbrian Pipers Discussion Space. Can anyone see any down sides to this?

I received no replies. Any thoughts now?

I have no objection to renaming All and Sundry, if anyone can come up with a good and generally acceptable name.

Barry

Yes please do it. The rules "when in doubt do something" and "simplify and add lightness" are faithful servants.

Open Forum or Main Forum are common names on the web. Either would be good. My personal preference would be for Open Forum as that is a clear declaration of intent.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Tim Rolls » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi Mike,

I have now added a link to the forum on the Website homepage as high as I can reasonably do so. I'm not sure this is the limiting factor, I suspect that many forum users access it directly from a bookmark, rather than via the main website. Also, there are many silent members of the forum already, I don't think the lack of contributors is down to the difficulty of access. I'm sure each person has their own take on why they don't take part in conversations. For myself, it's the thing of going to look and see if a conversation of interest, rather than dartmouth which delivered it to you on a plate, quick glance, yes or no. Also the Facebook page will have picked up some of the more ephemeral matters. I too think there is an element of a party not working too well in a lot of small rooms. Similarly, for me, digital tv gives so many options that you simply don't have time to check out everything that may or may not be of interest, so tend to not bother with any of it.

No simple answers

tim
Tim Rolls

Postby Richard Evans » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:05 pm

pipemakermike wrote:
Yes please do it. The rules "when in doubt do something" and "simplify and add lightness" are faithful servants.

Open Forum or Main Forum are common names on the web. Either would be good. My personal preference would be for Open Forum as that is a clear declaration of intent.

Or 'General Discussion' as used on several of the CNC forums I frequent.

Richard
Richard Evans

Postby Barry Say » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:21 pm

I am going to have to take a break from this as I am busy for a day or so. I will however point out that I dont think that shouting in red is an effective way of communicating. I am quite capable of doing necessary modifications to the Bulletin Board, but I am not going to make wholesale changes without some sense that they will benefit the wider community, nor (as a participant) will I give my consent to any individual taking it over and moulding it to their own taste.

Part of the point of this forum was to avoid the problems associated with Dartmouth if that is not the case I am not interested in participating.

I think that the vocal minority should let the subject lie for a while and we should attempt to seek the views of those who do not contribute to the discussions. This could be part of an e-mail to all BB members, but I think this should only be done after some reflection. I suggest that this exchange itself may well put people off participating.

This is possibly the most active Northumbrian piping forum at the moment, so don't knock it.

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby John Gibbons » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Barry, people were 'shouting in red' in agreement with your proposed simplification.
Please don't walk away from this.

I may be the most prolific user, but starting threads that nobody responds to,
perhaps because they never saw them, is very unsatisfying.
This forum has great possibilities, but is not quite right yet.
If you - or Mike, or anyone else - can fix it, it will be as vibrant as Dartmouth was,
and without the occasional problems we had there.

John
John Gibbons

Postby John Gibbons » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:01 pm

PS It is telling that the first thread on this BB that has really flown has been this one, asking for improvements.
It seems I am not the only one who is frustrated by what this BB could do, but doesn't yet.

John
John Gibbons

Postby Brynley » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:09 am

Hello all, first of all I would like to thank Barry Say and anyone else who helped create this site. As an isolated beginning piper I find it very valuable to be able to access information here, and have some connectivity with the larger community out there. Is there a link to the facebook site? I wasn't even aware there was one. I've also noticed the recent lack of activity, and wonder if it might not be a seasonal phenomenon now the dark days of winter are well behind, and everyone gets somewhat busier with activities other than sitting in front of the comp! I would like to make a comment about the arcane section, Peacocks Parlour. As I don't always log in it seems I've been missing some interesting discussions there, (interesting to me, as I've been dabbling in some of those tunes), as I didn't see it ,it was out of sight out of mind! I'm not clear on why that section is log in only. It might be a good idea to either make everyone log in to see most of the sites contents, or just leave everything open to view. Knocking some walls down a bit to create some bigger rooms might also help generally, and be less maintenance for the landlord! For myself I will now be on automatic log on so as not to miss anything! Cheers
Brynley

Full Name: Bryn Wilkin

Postby John Gibbons » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:47 pm

I understand this - 15 years ago I was in the same position, and the Dartmouth site,
open-plan with free-ranging discussions, was a great help.

There were drawbacks to Dartmouth, occasional bouts of libel and warfare,
but real value there too.

This BB needs to reproduce what was good about Dartmouth, and Barry et al. have made a great start.
But it's only after you move in to a new house that you see what needs fixing.

John
John Gibbons

Postby Barry Say » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi All,

I am suffering with a lurgy and not thinking at top speed. I have made some suggestions In the BB Organization Forum which is really the place for discussions such as this. Click on Board Index at the top of the page and you will see the forum.

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby bob Salter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm

I realise I am out in the sticks a bit, but if there is any way I can help out the society then I am happy to help.I have set up forums, am computer savvy and know a good bit about the internet. If there was anything else I could do to help then I would be happy to.

Bob
bob Salter

Full Name: Bob Salter

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum