Wikipedia is not a magazine.

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Wikipedia is not a magazine.

Postby Barry Say » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:33 pm

There have been some recent entries in wikipedia concerned with Northumbrian Piping and Northumbrian Music, but there is a danger that it is used as a way of collecting information about a person or topic. In particular, there has been a suggestion that an entry should be created for David Burleigh.

I think that there is woefully little published information about David and rather than constructing a tottering edifice on wikipedia which would then be available for the world to scrawl its graffiti on :roll: , it would be far better to write a considered appreciation and publish it in a :geek: respected journal (or even the Journal of the Northumbrian Pipers' Society ;) ). This could then be quoted as authoritative on wikipedia.

I hoped when I introduced this forum it would offer a place where we could think about developing a truly authoritative view of Northumbrian Piping, recognizing the diversity of opinions which exist in the community of Northumbrian Pipers.
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Re: Wikipedia is not a magazine.

Postby John Gibbons » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 pm

"There have been some recent entries in wikipedia concerned with Northumbrian Piping and Northumbrian Music, but there is a danger that it is used as a way of collecting information about a person or topic."

Isn't collecting information about topics what encyclopedias are for?

If someone writes an article for the Journal, non-members of the NPS will never see it.
Detail belongs in the Journal, summaries in Wikipedia.
Now the Northumbrian Smallpipes Encyclopedia is defunct,
a publicly visible site where reliable information can be posted is needed - Wikipedia is the obvious vehicle.

John
John Gibbons

Return to General Forum