Where to start???

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Where to start???

Postby euterpe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 am

Hello.

I've just passed my final exams and had promised myself a set of NPs as a reward. The only problem is, now I've got my exam result, I realise I haven't the faintest idea where to start in terms of what pipes to get, where to get them from etc... I play a variety of instruments and usually learn pretty quickly and I know I definitely want to learn, I just need some very newbie advice!

Help???

:? :D
Sel
PS - If I've posted this in the wrong place or missed another thread on this topic, my apologies.
euterpe

Full Name: Sel Adamu

Re: Where to start???

Postby RobSay » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello - it might help if you said where you were in the world?

cheers

Rob
RobSay

Postby euterpe » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Hello! Sorry - I stopped checking this as there'd been no replies. I have now borrowed a set (as of yesterday) and am beginning the journey to becoming a piper... Albeit slowly and squawkily...
No doubt I shall be asking advice at a later date!

Sel
PS I'm in Surrey, by the way!
euterpe

Postby RobSay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Sel, glad to hear you've managed to borrow a set - I'll presume they're in playing order..

If you're just starting out and want to get to grips with the instrument, then best way to start is with an introduction from another player. If your lender can't set you away; and being based in Surrey, the next best option would be the London group. They meet at the Calthorpe Arms, Greys Inn Rd (down the road form Kings Cross St) on the first Wednesday of the month.

cheers

Rob
RobSay

Postby Julia Say » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:54 am

There's also a fettler / maker / player just on the edge of Surrey - depends which end of the county you are.

NPS membership would give you a list of local contacts (I would say that, wouldn't I!) who could help you out if stuck.

There's also a free download tutor at:
www.liestman.com

Text and photos, not video etc. but a lot better than nothing.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby euterpe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks to you both! I'm going to have a few lessons with the guy I borrowed them from to get me started. So far, there's no way I'm playing them outside the privacy of my own home or that of my teacher but I'm sure I'll get there! Blimmin' difficult to get the hang of maintaining the air pressure... :?
euterpe

Return to General Forum