Drone pitch changing?

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Drone pitch changing?

Postby bob Salter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:49 pm

My drones can rise and fall a semitone above or below where they should be ideally. I know i need lots of practice but should they really change that much? What is the reed fix for such an issue? They are composite reeds ebony bodies with cane tongues.

Bob
bob Salter

Full Name: Bob Salter

Re: Drone pitch changing?

Postby Richard Evans » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:09 am

bob Salter wrote:My drones can rise and fall a semitone above or below where they should be ideally. I know i need lots of practice but should they really change that much? What is the reed fix for such an issue? They are composite reeds ebony bodies with cane tongues.

Bob

This sort of thing is very difficult to comment on especially at a distance.
1. It could be your pressure control.
2. It could be the drone outlets- are they smoothed on the inside corners?
3. Most likely it's a reed issue. This might be useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PIxufdr ... ature=plcp

Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Postby GrahamRB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 am

Followed your link Richard and found another of Davy's reed fettling videos ...sharp/flat is covered about 7 mins in ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDhEXucs ... el&list=UL
Graham
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
GrahamRB

Full Name: GrahamRB

Postby bob Salter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks guys, it wasnt a set I made. Last night I cleaned the reeds. I slipped a piece of paper under the tongue, applied slight pressure and pulled out the paper. I repeated this a few times. Then i used a dry pipe cleaner in the bore of the reed and made sure the bore was clear. I then checked the bore of the standing part and made sure it was good. Result? This morning the two drones I cleaned are rock steady. Wow. I have favourited the videos above for reference later as I would like at least one spare set of drone reeds.

Thanks
Bob
bob Salter

Full Name: Bob Salter

Return to General Forum