November 2012 TOTM: any "primitive" tune

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

November 2012 TOTM: any "primitive" tune

Postby Dally » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:31 am

The topic for November's Tune Of the Month is any tune that can be played on a "primitive" chanter, which is to say, a keyless chanter. This is inspired by Anthony Robb's wonderful CD, THE PRIMITIVES (http://robbpipes.com/index.html). If you have heard this CD you know that one of its great pleasures is hearing how Robb plays tunes that usually use keys. So, you can choose tunes composed for the "primitive" chanter or tunes that use keys as long as you substitute those notes for notes that are made by lifting your finger to uncover a hole, which is to say a note NOT made by use of a key.
Thank you EVERYONE who has participated so far. You have all been extremely generous.
It is a courageous act of creativity, or a creative act of courage to post your tunes for everyone to hear.
The secret committee are always eager to hear comments on TOTM.
cheers,
John
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Re: November 2012 TOTM: any "primitive" tune

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi John,
Pleased to see TOTM back and an excellent choice which allows either the simplest of tunes or complicated variation sets - so something for everyone. I hope you receive a few more participants, and even if members don't wish to record something themselves, it's worthwhile having their feedback on the tunes/playing/technique....
Anyway, as the keyless chanter is my current obsession, here's my first submission - http://soundcloud.com/wallie-ogilvie/jo ... of-melfort
cheers,
Wallie
Wallie Ogilvie

Postby Dally » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Well done, Wallie. As I posted on your Soundcloud page, playing Highland pipe marches in the Northumbrian style really brings the melody out. They seem to be somewhat of a political minefield, but a good tune is a good tune as far as I'm concerned.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi,
the brief did say any tune on the "primitive'. I'm even sure there are lots of Fosters in Northumberland, though I doubt Stephen Foster was one of them! http://soundcloud.com/wallie-ogilvie/oh-susanna
Wallie
Wallie Ogilvie

Postby Dally » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10 am

Dally

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Nice one John, but I really hope you get a few more contributions before the end of the month. PS. Have you tried the great keyless version of John Fenwick in the Bewick book? Thoroughly recommend it as a superior tune to the Tunebook 1 version.
Wallie Ogilvie

Postby Dally » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks, Wallie. You're right, the Bewick setting is more interesting than the NPS book 1 setting. The NPS setting is stuck firmly in my mind, however, and I wanted to try changing from one time signature to another and back while keeping the same tempo throughout, and that was the tune that came to mind. I'll have to learn the Bewick setting now. It would be interesting to have an annotated edition of NPS book 1, to know where those settings came from.

If anyone has ideas for encouraging people to participate I'm open to suggestions. Perhaps a Face Book for ToTM would help. It seems that this forum doesn't get the same traffic as the NSP FB page, but I don't want to take anything away from either. The idea of recording can be scary, and sharing that recording with other pipers can be terrifying. We have a positive discourse, however, and I know my own piping has improved quite a bit by going through the process of recording and sharing. All of the direct commentary I've received is positive and appreciative. There are many pipers who really appreciate hearing what we make available.

I have been posting links on the Maureen's FB page unofficially. Perhaps, we could make that a common practice? I have also talked to the editor and webmaster for the APNA site (www.theotherpipers.org) but it is not set up as a forum.

Anyway, as long as two or three are gathered together....
Dally

Postby Bill Wakefield » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:08 am

Bill Wakefield

Full Name: William Wakefield

Postby Matt Seattle » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Do whatever you think will work with TOTM, John. As I've told you before, I think TOTM is a truly excellent idea, and the only reason I'm not contributing is that I don't have the gear. I find it very hard to achieve the necessary state of relaxation in front of someone else's camera or mic while being aware that I'm also taking up their time! A few mistakes in a real performance situation don't matter to an audience prepared to engage with good will, but a quasi-permanent reminder of mistakes online...
Matt Seattle

Full Name: Matt Seattle

Postby Dally » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:58 am

Audacity is a home recording program that is free to download.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Here's a short tutorial on how to use it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXOOHOzCHHY
If you already have a computer all you need to do to start recording is buy a cheap mic that will plug into your computer.

If you are not happy with the sound, and you have a good instrument mic like a Shure SM57, you can use a USB audio interface. I used a Tascam US-122 for years, but when my hard drive crashed I couldn't find the disk, and Tascam doesn't make the drives for their old models available on-line. They want you to buy the new model. It has more features than I use, and it has a few odd built in inconveniences. So I bought an inexpensive USB audio interface called Miditech Audiolink III. It's works with my pc and my ipad. You need a "phone kit" to let it work with the ipad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wripeKFfyA

When we started TOTM I used a portable unit made by Tascam:
http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/
I was never happy with the sound, but chalk that up to my ignorance about these things.

Even if you have an old cassette recorder you make your recording on that, then record that onto Audacity.

Audacity finishes up projects in its own kind of file, which you then have to export into either a wav or mp3 file format to upload onto soundcloud.

If I can figure this stuff out, anyone can. Hope this helps.
Dally

Next

Return to General Forum