Discussion is alive again<G>

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Re: Discussion is alive again<G>

Postby Matt Seattle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Richard Evans wrote:I don't like being asked if I want to be 'friends' with someone I have known for 40 years, or someone I have never heard of, so I tend to ignore that stuff.

Oh, please be my friend, Richard!
Matt Seattle

Full Name: Matt Seattle

Postby Matt Seattle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:52 pm

John D - interesting revelations about the dunsire forum, which is currently down.
Matt Seattle

Full Name: Matt Seattle

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 am

Discussion on this forum seems to still be on life support! Earlier this week I uploaded a tune for TOTM simultaneously to the Facebook page and on the forum. The fact that the Bewick tune I chose was in C prompted a list of comments about playing tunes in C, all of which I found fascinating and stimulated my interest further, but all of that took place on the Facebook page rather than here, even though the respondents have all contributed to the forum in the past. Sadly this seems to confirm that they find commenting on FB a faster, simpler and more convenient way to communicate. Presumably its because Facebook members get direct notifications of new topics or comments and can respond immediately, and without that mechanism the forum will continually come a poor second.
Wallie Ogilvie

Postby Tim Rolls » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:53 am

The advantage of facebook is that it e-mails you when you have some activity on a topic you are involved in. I was going to say this forum doesn't do that, but I've just noticed there is an option below of "Notify me when a reply is posted", but that wasn't immediately apparent.

The disadvantages are manifold, as John Dally noted above, but I initially joined it to find a friend I'd lost touch with, and then said yes to any friend request from people I knew. At 30 odd "friends", I shut down all my sharing to the minimum, and stopped accepting friend requests, too much info I didn't need, so nothing personal John, or anyone else who has tried to befriend me.
I now use facebook to be involved in a couple of local virtual communities which discuss developments in my local town, and keep up with any vaguely piping community related chat. We're geographically a bit isolated, and I no longer "go to work" so I don't have that peer group. I also use it to share items from the Guardian and other sources which support my view of the world, so it serves the purpose of letting off steam.

Using this forum is a little daunting for the ignorant, and even with my personal level of self-confidence (arrogance?) I feel unqualified to comment on many subjects. This wouldn't normally stop me, but discussions on here tend to be a result of years of experience, rather than uninformed opinion. The possibility of being verbally struck down for saying something stupid will have inhibited many potential contributors, who nonetheless feel involved by just reading what's written by the sage and venerable.
Tim Rolls

Postby Richard Evans » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Tim Rolls wrote:Using this forum is a little daunting for the ignorant, and even with my personal level of self-confidence (arrogance?) I feel unqualified to comment on many subjects. This wouldn't normally stop me, but discussions on here tend to be a result of years of experience, rather than uninformed opinion. The possibility of being verbally struck down for saying something stupid will have inhibited many potential contributors, who nonetheless feel involved by just reading what's written by the sage and venerable.

I would be very sorry if that were the case, it had certainly not occurred to me as a possibility. I think people are too busy swapping pictures of their dogs or whatever on Facebook to post here.
This problem is widespread- Froots magazine (folk/world music mag) is shutting down its forums and migrating to FB to name but one.

Cheers
Richard
Richard Evans

Postby pipemakermike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:37 pm

One benefit of this forum is that there is a zero tolerance for anything that may offend and I am keeping a close eye on it
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Richard Evans » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Sorry if I appeared a bit abrasive- I tend to forget that the written word doesn't convey irony/tongue in cheek- ness, whatever.
Richard Evans

Postby Dally » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:01 am

Richard Evans wrote:Sorry if I appeared a bit abrasive- I tend to forget that the written word doesn't convey irony/tongue in cheek- ness, whatever.

I know what you mean, Richard. :oops: I've been told that's what emoticons are for. :? It's better to be clear and direct than worry about offending anyone. :ugeek: On the other hand, clan warfare :evil: is entertaining. :twisted: But the entertainment value isn't worth the damage :cry: it does. :x
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Postby Dally » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:26 am

Personally, I think it's unfortunate that TOTM was folded into the general forum. When it was on its own it was an instant archive and easy to find. With the last TOTM I encouraged people to post in both places. I think this forum is great for pipe making and other technical discussions. But most pipers are more interested in having a good tune and getting know each other, showing off photos of pipes, people or events, and other frivolous stuff.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Previous

Return to General Forum