Purchasing pipes?

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Purchasing pipes?

Postby robin » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this site and to piping although I have owned and played the Highland Pipes in the past. I am keen to buy a used or new set of Northumbrian/Lowland pipes. Have read a certain amount on the history of these but am still a little confused as to the difference?
Anyone suggestions as to where I might buy a good set and which might be the ones to go for?

Robin
robin

Full Name: robin martin-oliver

Re: Purchasing pipes?

Postby pipemakermike » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Robin
before you make a decision you will need to understand the different types of pipe.
These are the Border Pipes. Played with open fingering similar to the highland pipes and with a similar drone harmony:-
There are also Scottish Small Pipes similar to the Border Pipes but with a more complex drone harmony:-
And then there is the Northumbrian Smallpipes. These are closed fingering (only one finger at a time) and have a much greater range of notes.
You can find examples of all these sets played on Youtube.
A good place to start your research would be to contact Richard Evans A fine maker of both types of pipe.
If your needs are more for Border, Lowland, or Scottish small pipes then Nigel Richard is a helpful maker of these
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Purchasing pipes?

Postby robin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:54 am

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the info and pictures, very helpful and much appreciated. I do think it is the Northumbrian pipes I am most interested in and have been doing more research. There is a piping club meets not far from me in Eynsham/ Oxon so am going along there next Wed. They also have hire sets which would be useful.

Thank again,
Robin :)
robin

Full Name: robin martin-oliver

Return to General Forum