The bag question.

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

The bag question.

Postby Brynley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:34 pm

What are desirable qualities for an NSP bag ? Supple or stiffer, thin or thicker leather, specific shape, long necked or shorter, coated interior or traditional seasoned, larger or smaller? (Airtight obviously!) And apart from leakage, what are the indicators that it's time for replacement? Any suggestions for bagmakers in N.America welcome also. Thanks!
Brynley

Full Name: Bryn Wilkin

Re: The bag question.

Postby pipemakermike » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Bryn
My preference is for a bag of medium stiffness - hard to specify - I have used 1 to 1.5 mm panel hide in the past and liked the feel. I find that bags that are too stiff are the worst and are hard to fit and hard to play. I also think that if the bag is too soft it can be hard to control and the drones can drop onto the arm.
The best commercial bags I have seen are those made by Jackie Boyce I have seen a number of these and they all look excellent.
The when and why of bag replacement is rather subjective. Leakage and damage are good indicators that a bags time has come. Smell is another indicator - some bags on older sets were seasoned with unstabilised tallow which goes rancid.
As for shape, my bags are the same shape as David Burleigh's but you will need to chose a shape that will fit the cover you have.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: The bag question.

Postby Brynley » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks. I see on the Jackie Boyce site there are many styles of NSP bag available with different dimensions, and presumably holding slightly different air volumes and of different shapes. Is more better in air capacity? And I suppose the shapes would be dictated by the personal preferences of the maker, but can anyone explain which they prefer and why? Are some particular shapes of bag better for certain body types? :lol:
Brynley

Full Name: Bryn Wilkin

Return to General Forum