Resurrecting unused pipes

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Resurrecting unused pipes

Postby johnarthurs » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:47 pm

I have a set of Burleigh pipes (7k) made for me in 1973/4. Unfortunately I did not persist in learning to play them beyond 'Salmon Tails', and they have lain in their box in the attic now for nearly 40 years. They probably need a major overhaul. I was thinking of selling them but on reflection would like to have another go at learning to play them. Can anyone recommend someone in the North East area who could appraise them for me and indicate what will be needed to bring them back to life? The pads are surely dried out by now and they will at least need a new bellows belt as I am of somewhat greater girth than when they were made! Thanks in anticipation of any advice or suggestions. :D
johnarthurs

Full Name: John Arthurs

Re: Resurrecting unused pipes

Postby Julia Say » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi John

You could try contacting David Burleigh himself - although he has retired from making, there are reports that he is still servicing his own pipes for some customers.

If this fails or is not appropriate to your situation, you could try Andy May if on Tyneside, or if in mid-Northumberland, I'd have a look at them for you to see what might be needed.

The worst case scenario would be that the bag is no longer useable and might need replacing, but otherwise a "6000 mile service" might well make the pipes sing again.

I hope this helps

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby johnarthurs » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks Julia,will follow up your advice. John
johnarthurs

Postby johnarthurs » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi Julia, Sorry but I slightly misread your response to my post first time round. If you are offering to advise re my pipes I should be grateful if I could contact you to arrange this. I would not be surprised if the bag needs replacing, but maybe also pads, bindings and reeds (some are cane and some I think are adaptations of brass harmonica reeds). I guess David Burleigh may be prepared to do work for his 'regulars' but maybe not a 'blast for the past' of 40-odd years ago. I often find myself in mid-Northumberland so could travel to wherever you are. How do I get in touch? John
johnarthurs

Postby Julia Say » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:08 am

John - have sent PM with my contact details.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Return to General Forum