Pipers 0`wer the Border

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Pipers 0`wer the Border

Postby Ear Plugs Needed » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Having had to jump over the border in order to keep my wife in the luxury that she has come to be accustomed too, missing the sound of the NSP, any players north of Glasgow?
Last week had to go on a trip to Wooler, very tempted to jump back o`wer border and relocate, felt that being in the NSP`s home county might re-inspire me to practice more but aside from that, maybe the members can clarify, how far north have the NSP`s spread?
Ear Plugs Needed

Full Name: mark hans-brooker

Re: Pipers 0`wer the Border

Postby Tpfairfax » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:56 pm

I note the NPS members handbook shows a good showing in the Members by Region section (contact details in the main section).

As an ex highland piper living just north of the border but in Northumberland (cheviot bandit country) - I take great pleasure in the fact that most Highland Pipe tunes sound as good or better on the NSP.... made even better by the fact that some (like the Hamilton House) can be played on NSP but not GHP (I think I have just been struck by lightning!!)

Perhaps a tune is called for .... Geordie amongst the Jocks....;D
Tpfairfax

Full Name: Tom Fairfax

Postby Julia Say » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 am

Mark - there is a significant drop-off in density of pipers (geographically, not intellectually!) at the present administrative border. It has been cogently argued that said border makes little sense musically: historically it didn't but I'm not so sure now.

That said, there are nsp-ers scattered throughout Scotland, with several exiled to the wastes of Shetland, where, I am assured, they rarely leave their underground burrows, to avoid being overwhelmed by fiddlers.

AS Tom correctly points out, one of the privileges of NPS membership is a list with other members' locations.

Hope this helps.

JUlia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby Ear Plugs Needed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Your right, been on the sideline to long, going to join and become a member, with all its benefits and listings. Might even try that new invention the world wide web and join on-line. :D
Ear Plugs Needed

Full Name: mark hans-brooker

Return to General Forum