Help Identifying New Pipes

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Re: Help Identifying New Pipes

Postby adrian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 pm

In that case, as you're across the pond, I'm thinking these pipes were made over there.
Last edited by adrian on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Postby adrian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 pm

....also, our Northern English humour can be confusing to people, even in England!
adrian

Postby Ben Power » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 am

I'm from Liverpool mate. Though I agree about the pipes perhaps being from the States—with the bag, I suspect someone with some uilleann pipe experience.
Ben Power

Full Name: Benjamin Power

Postby adrian » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Ben Power wrote:I'm from Liverpool mate. Though I agree about the pipes perhaps being from the States—with the bag, I suspect someone with some uilleann pipe experience.

O dear, another cock-up, by me! In that case, disregard my last post.
Last edited by Barry Say on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Purely technical
adrian

Postby Ben Power » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:16 pm

no bother. live in the states at the moment. well actually, temporarily in germany, but usually in the states
Ben Power

Full Name: Benjamin Power

Postby adrian » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:12 am

I wonder why I am confused!
adrian

Postby John Gibbons » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 pm

"Here is a question. If my recently and tenuously gained understanding is that a G set is generally the set for playing with other instruments, what is a D set most useful for (which I would have guessed would be most useful for playing with other instruments)? Is it simply a pleasant key to play in, dropping everything down that happens to be reasonably useful for playing with other instruments?"

Besides the lovely tone of a good D set, its pitch range is good for a lot of voices; you need a very good soprano/tenor to double a G set, and dropping the pitch less than a tone to F+ is not enough for mortals, let alone altos and basses. Dropping to D is much more forgiving.

Merry Christmas,

John
John Gibbons

Postby adrian » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Actually f# pitch is ideal because it is c# when played in D. As for a D set, you'll been in D when in 1# and A when in 2#'s. As for other instruments, stringed instruments will be ok but keyed ones will have difficulty transposing. The D chanter is ideal for players with fingers that can't fit on a G chanter.
adrian

Previous

Return to General Forum