January 2012 Tune of the Month

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

January 2012 Tune of the Month

Postby Dally » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:00 pm

We have something exciting planned for January Tune of the Month. Check this space for BIG news in the near future.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Re: January 2012 Tune of the Month

Postby OldTomsRant » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:29 pm

John has asked me to select the theme for January's TOTM. In keeping with previous months, I've chosen something to appeal to both Northumberland pipers and Border pipers (though I'm aware that this trend effectively excludes most tunes that came into the smallpipe repertoire after 1810! - future selectors may wish to bear this in mind)

The theme I've chosen is Highland Laddie. There are at least two strands here, Highland Laddie and New Highland Laddie, so there's plenty of scope for contributions. Examples I can think of include the GHB quickstep Highland Laddie, The Bonny Lass of Livingston, Dixon's Highland Laddie, and Peacock & Clough Family settings of New Highland Laddie.

Be careful though; New Highland Laddie was the last tune played by 'Old' Thomas Clough (II) before his death, and Tom (III) once remarked that Henry Clough played it beautifully one evening, and the next day he was dead! The superstitious amongst you will be relieved to know that the last tune played by 'Young' Tom (IV) was not Highland Laddie, but Nae Guid Luck!

Looking forward to your contributions,

Chris
OldTomsRant

Full Name: Chris Ormston

Postby John Gibbons » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Chris,

New Highland Laddie is a grand tune.
I wonder what Tom made of it in performance - it has things in common with Holey Ha'penny,
which has twice as many dots in Tom's recording as when he wrote it down.
There's scope for an imaginative reconstruction there.

Happy New Year,

John
John Gibbons

Postby OldTomsRant » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:58 pm

John G,
It's in hand - more to follow ;)

I also forgot to mention Kate Dalrymple, which is a dance tempo setting of NHL, and will be familiar to listeners of Radio Scotland's Take the Floor
OldTomsRant

Full Name: Chris Ormston

Postby John Gibbons » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Kate Dalrymple makes the structure of New Highland Laddie a bit more obvious - it has a short strain repeated, then a long one unrepeated.
About half the strains of NHL, including the first, are a short strain, repeated, only with a different end tag, and the other half including the 2nd,
have an extended tag where the repeat should be.
But they don't alternate strictly, so presumably at least one strain has got lost, or been inserted. One for the musicologists....

Happy New Year,

John
John Gibbons

Postby John Gibbons » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:38 pm

The missing short strain was there all the time in Peacock - his 5th.
It is also in Clough, just - the one that appears in one Clough MS between 2 and 3 of the version in the Clough book, see p 107.
Peacock's version alternates short and long strains nicely - but why the repeat marks on the long strains?
I may get to understand this tune before the month is out....

John
John Gibbons

Postby John Gibbons » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:01 am

John Gibbons wrote:I may get to understand this tune before the month is out....
John

But playing it so the quavers aren't dead slow and the semidemis don't slur probably needs a better piper than you can find in Crouch End.
Still practising...

J.
John Gibbons

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi ,

this is my first contribution to TOTM. Only the short Peacock version - if Highland Laddie comes round again next January I may have come to terms with the variations by then!

http://soundcloud.com/wallie-ogilvie/highland-laddie

Cheers,

Wallie
Wallie Ogilvie

Postby Dally » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 pm

Well done, Wallie! Thanks for sharing.
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush
Dally

Full Name: John Dally

Postby Wallie Ogilvie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks John,

Not entirely happy with my playing, as I hadn't played the tune before last weekend. I stumble in a couple of places and still need to work on my right hand as it's not as precise as I'd like it to be, so I'd appreciate hearing how others approach it. I'll work on it further and may post a second attempt later in the month - if it's any better!
Wallie Ogilvie

Next

Return to General Forum