More Reorganisation

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

More Reorganisation

Postby Barry Say » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 pm

A new forum has been created called 'All and Sundry' This is a general discussion area. Posts are no longer permitted to 'Northumbrian Piper's Discussion Space' directly.

I am considering whether to delete the Welcome and BB Organisation Forums and move all the sections in Northumbrian Pipers Discussion space up a level? This would mean that visitors to the BB woulds immediately see what currently appears in Northumbrian Pipers Discussion Space. Can anyone see any down sides to this?

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Re: More Reorganisation

Postby adrian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:26 am

I would like to be the curator of the 'Peacocks Parlour' ?
Adrian
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Moderators

Postby Barry Say » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 pm

The success of a Bulletin Board such as this is very dependent on the attitude of the Moderators. The role of a moderator is not to control or censor the discussions but rather to enable them to be more productive. Occasionally, in other forums, there have been rather pointless exchanges where intransigent participants have endlessly repeated opposing irreconcilable arguments with no attempt to understand the opponents position. There have also been occasions where forums have been used to grind religious, political, racist and other axes with no contribution to the subject of the forum. The moderators then have the opportunity to call a time-out by barring correspondents, or locking the forum until feelings have cooled and the discussion can be continued.

Luckily, we have not yet encountered any of those problems. I have been carrying out most of the administrative tasks on the forum, but this has been mainly to ensure that relevant posts are kept together so that users can make sense of the Board. Moderators can move posts to different forums, and it was in that context I asked Francis Wood to act as a moderator so sort Pipemaking and Maintenance posts into separate forums.

Otherwise, Julia Say, Tim Rolls and myself have 'Global Moderator' rights but we haven't had much to do, which is as it should be. In the longer term, if this BB becomes more active it will be necessary to have more moderators and I hope they will be chosen by the community who use the Bulletin Board.

If Adrian wishes to become a moderator of Peacock's Parlour in this sense, I would be quite happy to make the arrangements. If on the other hand he wants to see another more directed forum to try and define a 'traditional' style of Northumbrian piping, I would be happy to join in the project.

Any thoughts?

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Return to General Forum