Barry?

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Barry?

Postby adrian » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:26 pm

Could you upload the 'Caisely, Clough and Bryan' photo; not a small one, as the pipes have to be seen.
I have a question to ask the forum about them! My jpeg is 1.3 megs and can't be shrunk to 225kbs.
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Re: Barry?

Postby OldTomsRant » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 am

Hi Adrian,
What did you want to know? The pipes Tom has in the photo weren't his, but, as far as I'm aware, were borrowed for the purposes of the photograph. I remember Forster Charlton telling me that he and Colin Ross visited Tom around that time and attached a length of hose to Forster's chanter so that Tom could finger the pipes with Forster operating the bellows, bag and drones. Forster recorded this, but later erased it as Tom's deafness hampered his playing. Forster felt it would be unfair on Tom if the recording was to survive. Then again, we'll see what turns up in Forster's collection!

Chris
OldTomsRant

Full Name: Chris Ormston

Postby Julia Say » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 am

cl-33.jpg
cl-33.jpg (53.25 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Is this big enough, Adrian? Its the jpg from the book.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby John Gibbons 2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Adrian,
What was the question?

John
John Gibbons 2

Full Name: John Gibbons

Postby Julia Say » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Colin has consistently maintained that Forster wiped it, Chris, but I too am wondering.....we are getting closer to meaningful interaction with this collection, but its huge!

Julia
Julia Say

Postby adrian » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:35 am

The question is/was: What's different in the photo between the pipes and not regular today?
Ta.
adrian

Postby adrian » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 am

[quote="Julia Say"]Colin has consistently maintained that Forster wiped it, Chris, but I too am wondering.....we are getting closer to meaningful interaction with this collection, but its huge!
Arse...I'll reply later.
adrian

Postby RobSay » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:00 am

adrian wrote:The question is/was: What's different in the photo between the pipes and not regular today?
Ta.

Your man's either playing with four drones open or D,G,g (can't quite make out the high D at the back. He's also got the low D positioned furthest away from his body?

R
RobSay

Postby Julia Say » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:37 am

Adrian wrote: What's different in the photo between the pipes and not regular today?

The finger position on the chanter. Check Tom's fingers compared with the player to the right.

Mind you I wouldn't put too much credence on this photo without backup, by all accounts it was fairly " arranged" and the old guy was well past his best, never mind his playing.

Julia
Julia Say

Postby John Gibbons 2 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Tom did say you should play with the pads, not the tips of the fingers, but the middle joint of the fingers is a new one on me. Forster's bag seems to be running at less than atmospheric pressure.
Tom played some hornpipes with DAda drones, for a richer sound.
If this photo is as it seems, he used DGdg sometimes....

But if the shot is staged, nothing in it means anything, and Forster's remarkably low playing pressure suggests this.

John
John Gibbons 2

Full Name: John Gibbons

Next

Return to General Forum