Newbie Pipe identification

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Newbie Pipe identification

Postby bluntpixel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi all. Glad I've found the forum - I'm looking to identify further a set of pipes I've been handed and thought this would be a good place to start.
By the serial number I've confirmed they are a set by David Burleigh and about 3-4 years old. Beyond that, as a guitarist, I know nothing but have been entrusted with selling them for my brother who wanted me to put them on ye olde fleabay, mind you he thought they were bagpipes! :roll:

They appear to be unused/excellent condition and I'd rather gather some information if possible by any forum members and ideas of a fair price and indeed if anyone here might be interested in giving them a good home.

My assumption is they are 7 key chanter with perhaps complicated drones, african blackwood... please correct me! I can post further pics if permitted.

Regards and Thanks,
Andy in Durham

bluntpixel

Full Name: Andy Maccallum

Re: Newbie Pipe identification

Postby Barry Say » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi,
Yes, 7 keys. No, Not complicated drones, only one tuning bead.

Customary description: 7 Key chanter, 4 drones 1 tuning bead.

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby bluntpixel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks Barry, much appreciated, its fascinating to come across an instrument I have no idea about and slowly piece info together, do NSPs come in a standard key, and if so how do I discover this, bearing in mind I'm a guitarist armed only with a guitar tuner :lol:

Andy
bluntpixel

Postby Barry Say » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 am

The Finger holes should give an octave scale and the pitch will probably between F and F#. When I accompany pipes, I generally tune up about 30 cents and put capo on third fret and play D shapes for tunes written in G. If I were to try and accompany very sharp pipes, I would capo up one more and tune accordingly.

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby Julia Say » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Andy - for safety I would strongly suggest you remove the piece of black wood currently sticking out of the bellows, and push the end of it with the little leather flap (carefully) into the spare socket visible in the bag. This will be safer for the flap (which is a one-way air valve). That piece is the blowpipe.
Then you will have a "normal" configuration for a set not in use.

You can find the "replacement " price for a set of that description on D. Burleigh's website which should give you an idea of where to start an auction (if you are familiar with ebay).

Bear in mind that a set which has been unplayed, or neglected, may need servicing, which will add to a purchasers' costs and depress the price you should expect. nsp are not an instrument for fans of low maintenance - they can "go off" remarkably quickly if unplayed.

Hope this helps

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby bluntpixel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Sage advice, thanks. I've gently reassembled them to a more humane posture, and put them back in their case. I'll see if I can find someone locally to give them the once over for me to assess their condition.

Ta' Andy
bluntpixel

Postby Julia Say » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Feel free to PM me for contact suggestions.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Return to General Forum