Willy Taylor

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Willy Taylor

Postby John Gibbons » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:51 pm

I have started a wikipedia page on Willy Taylor - the other Shepherds were done ages ago.
But Alistair's obit for him in the Guardian is a bit short on detail, and the only other sources I have used so far are notes from cd's - a bit minimal.

If anyone wants to add to it, with a basis of more knowledge than I have myself, please feel free. Alternatively, is there a good biog of him that would fill in some of the missing details?
I am not happy with my effort as it stands, but I had to start somewhere.

Are there any other tunes people know to be his, that should be in the list of his compositions? My list is (I am certain) only partial.

'The Session' attributes to him, as composer, lots of tunes that he did play, like The Linehope Lope, but never claimed, as well as others by other composers. So that is a suspect source.

John
John Gibbons

Re: Willy Taylor and Will Atkinson

Postby John Gibbons » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:41 pm

The Will Atkinson page, which had been around as a stub for ages, also needed work, and says more now than it used to.
One important influence on both of them was their uncle Geordie Armstrong, who 'was the best fiddler around', and certainly was a strong influence on both. Is there anything independently known about him??

John
John Gibbons

Re: Willy Taylor

Postby OldTomsRant » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Here's a photo of Will Atkinson (centre) playing melodeon in 1942 Image
OldTomsRant

Full Name: Chris Ormston

Postby John Gibbons » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Chris,

This is a great photo - who are the other people in shot?
I could upload it to wikipedia if someone signed over the right to use it.
If it is from the Cocks collection it is easier to point to the link than to get permission,
which the museum have to charge for.

Many thanks,

John
John Gibbons

Postby John Gibbons » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Found it - the scrapbooks are a wonderful archive!

Thanks for the tip,

John
John Gibbons

Return to General Forum