Northumbrian Smallpipes in Ireland

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Northumbrian Smallpipes in Ireland

Postby KevinM » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi All,

A couple of years ago I bought a set of smallpipes from David Burleigh. I have to say this is one of the best investments I have ever made, I am very happy with my pipes.

I was wondering whether anyone knew of any Northumbrian Pipers in the Republic of Ireland. I am based in Co.Kildare close to Dublin, and of course if there were any piping classes relatively close to where I live :)

Look forward to hearing back soon
Kevin
KevinM

Full Name: Kevin Millsom

Re: Northumbrian Smallpipes in Ireland

Postby Julia Say » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm

There is an NPS member in Malahide, Co. Dublin, and another (ex-pat Geordie) in Dublin itself.
There are also 2 members in N. Antrim in the north of the island and another player/maker in Co. Donegal.

I expect there are others: one of the Board members of NPU also doubles up on both Uilleann pipes and nsp, though primarily now a player of the Irish pipes.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby KevinM » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi Julia,

Thanks for the reply.... hopefully I'll be able to contact the NPS member at some stage. It was feeling a bit lonely here of late ;) If we can locate enough players/members it might even be a good idea to arrange some sort of gathering, unless of course, one already exists. I am an uilleann piper (badly out of practice) but was thrilled to become the proud owner of a set of NSPs and also to see the wonderful links over many years with Irish pipers.
Thanks again, you have given me renewed impetus to continue learning and playing.

Beannachtaí ó chontae Chill Dara
Kevin
KevinM

Postby OldTomsRant » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Kevin

Uilleann piper David Power also plays Burleigh NSPs. I think he's in Waterford.

Chris
OldTomsRant

Full Name: Chris Ormston

Postby PaulScott » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:48 pm

I am the expat Geordie in Dublin (Stillorgan), there is another chap in Malahide who I meant to meet up with a while ago but work and kiddies got in the way of arranging a suitable time. I have had a set of pipes for a couple of years but have not beyond the basic stage due to lack of being able to play with others- so would welcome meeting up. My details are in the NPS Directory if you are a member

Paul Scott
PaulScott

Full Name: Paul Scott

Postby PaulScott » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Ands on this topic if any NSPers are in this neck of the woods then please get in touch - we will always benefit from other's experiences and will repay any tutoring with copious amounts of Guinness.
PaulScott

Postby KevinM » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi Paul,

Great to hear from you; I'd love to meet up sometime, I was beginning to feel a bit isolated :( . I am not a member of the Pipers society, just figuring out the best way to send the money :D

BTW I am a "sassanach" from the SE of England, but have been living in Ireland for the last 25 years :lol:

Cheers
Kevin
KevinM

Postby Julia Say » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Kevin - UK cheque or Paypal!

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby John Gibbons » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:58 pm

But they haven't worked out how to send Guinness by Paypal yet...

John
John Gibbons

Postby PaulScott » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Kevin I'm at pscott60 on the g mail (hope that beats the spamming machines). I will get in touch with the other chap in Malahide and we can get together to create some noises.
PaulScott

Return to General Forum